How to remove old union upvc door lock with shootbolts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The latch on my back door is not returning fully so I suspect a broken spring.

I'd like to try a repair but do not know how to disconnect the top and bottom shootbolts which seem controlled by long screwed rods attached to the gearbox. They seem inaccessible. See pics.

Any suggestions, please?

SAM_0645.jpg.html
SAM_0647.jpg.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OOPS! Pics not showing. Any advice please - I clicked image and inserted the photobucket url.

From memory the brass shootbolt unscrews from the main rod which connects to the gearbox/lock.

Stand on something and have a look at the top shootbolt as it pokes out the door, there should be something like a sponge (possibly) and or just a plastic/nylon guide with a hole in it for the shootbolt to poke through, this should be held in with a little Philips self tapping screw, remove screw and nylon guide, shootbolt should now just flop around so can be unscrewed, you'll probably need to lift the door off its hinges to do the same with the bottom one

Thank you crank39
I think you are right that the brass rods unscrew, but I can't get at them.

I looked at the top and the shootbolt guide is a fairly thick aluminium plate and it seems to be held by rivets. Hence the difficulty getting at them. Might have to consider drilling out the rivets.

Thanks again
Jim

Sponsored Links
Update
Hi Cancel below message
I have now removed the lock. However, I can't access the latch return spring. The lock is held together with three tabs and I feel if I open them things may fly around. Any advice appreciated to open and fix latch return.
Thanks
Jim

I'm really still stuck with this.
Can anyone please suggest a method to unscrew/remove the shoot bolt threaded rods from the lock brackets. Access to rods and lock mechanism is severely limited.

Thank you
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim, are there any markings/numbers on the lock case? Are we also talking about a PVC door or an aluminium door, pictures would really really help if you could, taa!

lock1.jpg
lock1.jpg

I've managed to post a pic! Hope it's not too big.

Here is the mechanism with the loose latch

crank39 I think it would be called an aluminium door.

Jim

Thank you crank39 the northwesthardware one looks identical.

Got a local locksmith calling in tomorrow - I'll show him this one.

Jim

PS will let you know outcome.

Hi, How did you remove the shootbolts? I have tried but so far have not managed it. Did you manage to get a replacement centre case?
All the best, Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back