How to remove one-piece secondary glazing? * SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this apartment some months ago and although the kitchen and bedroom windows have split secondary glazing that I can raise to open the windows, the living room has fixed top to bottom secondary glazing that can't be opened.

However, it's getting a bit cold these days and I can see a gap between the two sash windows that needs to be insulated. also, the space between the two windows is always full of five to ten house flies and wasps.

So I'd like to take the secondary windows down so I can clean the space and insulate the older windows but I don't see any way to remove them.

Could anyone view the pictures I took and see what type they are and tell me how they can be removed and put back after cleaning?
I'm under the impression that they have been semi permanently sealed with the strips that go along side and on top and bottom of them; perhaps with some kind of glue rather than a snap on method?
The windows also have three tabs on either side that slide up and down; I assume this is to firm up the seal.

Attachments

• PXL_20211003_170631488.jpg
    PXL_20211003_170631488.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20211003_170639625.jpg
    PXL_20211003_170639625.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20211003_170649228.jpg
    PXL_20211003_170649228.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Do the ' tabs ' click onto the ' outer frame' ? My guess would be that you need to unclick the tabs and the big pane will slide so the fixed pane is fully within the outer frame, then the big pane should lift out. Failing that it looks like it has white trim on the outer frame covering the fixing screws.
The system looks a bit like Granada Secondary Glazing but I wouldn't like to commit to that being the manufacturer

My old secondary glazing slid- so different to yours.
But removal was similar to patio doors in that the pane sat inside a groove, and you raised the pane upwards to allow the bottom to clear the bottom runner.

The panes do move up a tad when I pull them up by the bottom lip but only a tiny amount. Seems enough to clear the bottom but each side is under the outer frame.

The tabs don't come out when I pull on them. They can slide up down but like the windows, the must have side parts that go under the window and outer frame.

Sponsored Links
Ahh, problem solved.

The gap to let the tabs out is all the way at the top as the run widens a bit. I took them off just one side and was able to shift the window to one side and it came off surprisingly easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back