How to remove & remedy a failed chemical DPC v2

Sponsored Links
(in the 'understair' picture above, you can see the wooden frame to some shelves built into the party wall which used to be a window to the outside).
Could this be removed to inpect the structure behind / reveals etc?

Good drawing cAtLeYx, I am hoping that there is a cavity between the two walls that could be cleaned out.
Frank
If I am to investigate this - would you suggest removing a brick or 2 from the wall under the floorboards?

Could this be removed to inpect the structure behind / reveals etc?
Good idea. I will broach this with the wife - she might be resistant to yet more destructive investigation!

Sponsored Links
What I find odd is this picture:
full

I find it odd as it would indicate to me that your DPC is working as the wall only gets damp from 1.2m upwards...so seeing that I would be wondering if water is coming down the wall then being stopped by your DPC? Is it a continuous damp or does it get noticeably worse in wet weather or any other time?

If you have an old style boiler with a gravity fed system with header tanks etc. up in the loft it may be worth checking that none of the ballcocks are continuously slow'drip filling their tank - if they are it could indicate a pinhole leak in your pipework?? (although why it would go near what was your external wall is another matter but having a house of the same age I wouldn't discount anything without checking it!)

Hi - interesting comments, and definitely another avenue to investigate.

No water tanks up in the loft - we have a combi. The staining does seem to vary over time, but i don;t think it gets noticeably worse during rainy periods (this week for example).

Given that the damp appears along the whole length of the party wall (front to back), i thought it would be worth considering how next door's roof is detailed (see pic below). ANy thoughts on this - does it appear to be sufficient to stop water travelling down the party wall or cavity (if it exists?)

View media item 96417

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back