How to remove splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

I have this AWFUL looking grey splashback panel in my kitchen sink area (circled blue), and whilst I'm doing some renovations to improve the appearing of my entire kitchen, I realised THIS HAS GOT TO GO. Plan is to expose the bricks, and put some rustic solid wood plank shelves there for plants and decorative kitchen items.

What I am 98% sure of, is that there's more lovely exposed brick underneath it (I hope so anyway, but why on EARTH did the previous owners think this was a good idea to cover up in the first place?). I also know there is no wires or electrics as that side of the sink area is completely plug-free. What I'm not sure of, is how they've stuck it on, and IF, when I rip this off, it will just be a gluey, smeary, disgusting mess that will leave the breaks beneath unsalvagable?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this gross thing is stuck on? Note: the black stuff you can see running up the size is a sort of squishy black sealant type stuff, if that helps solve this mystery in any way.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Attachments

• 378168491_1044541476725831_2503146812748186183_n.jpg
    378168491_1044541476725831_2503146812748186183_n.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5077.png
    IMG_5077.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Crowbar.
If you can't see any screws, some bodgers must've glued it.
It will be destroyed in the process of removing and your next problem will be to clean the bricks somehow.

If you can't see any screws, some bodgers must've glued it.

It could have been done with keyhole plates. Will it push upwards?

Or screws concealed under the front fittings.

Poke a thin flat implement under from the edge.

Sponsored Links
Looks like IKEA type modular shelf unit , doubt it will take much to remove it . Are those not bolts on the front?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back