How to remove this access panel?

Insert a hooked cobblers knife behind the top right where you can lever it away a bit.
Alternatively, use a hooked blade in a Stanley knife to drag it downwards and break any paint or to cut through any silicone sealant that may have been used.
If you manage to get a portion away from the wall put a batten across the opened section to prevent it springing back and sticking again. Continue around the edges moving the batten as you go. The batten will also help to apply light pressure to the edge that you are working on.

A thought to keep in mind. "It went on, it will come off."

Sponsored Links
I got it off in the end, Andy was right, it was the paint holding it in place. Used a very thin screwdriver to lift forward the bottom left and kept cutting through area of resistance until I managed to get a larger screwdriver in.

Foxhole - my neighbour did a refurb a couple of years ago and when I popped over to see the works, the stopcock was behind that panel. We are connected through the same wall.

Unfortunately after removing the panel, there is another solid wall, behind which waste, hot and cold water pipes run from the bathroom. So apparently there's no way to turn cold water off in the bathroom, it comes in separately and the kitchen stopcock only turns off the hot water. All the pipes in the picture are for cistern refill.

Maybe one of the pros can advise on this set up. Could it be because of a communal cold water tank? Not confirmed but another user suggested this possibility in a different thread.

Also, there is still a disused water tank above the toilet, a remnant of the system before transitioning to combi I assume, I wonder if it's also linked to this

Attachments

• 20200621_224710.jpg
    20200621_224710.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 147
Your picture seems to show where the original high level toilet was, before it was converted to the more modern close couple.
That gate valve only seems to control the loo - assuming that the pipe runs down and behind the other panel, of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back