How to remove this access panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the screws out and expected it to come off easily. Tried lightly prying it with a plastic car trim removal piece, it flexes but doesn't come out.

Attachments

• 20200603_200720.jpg
    20200603_200720.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
Could try scoring the perimeter with a utility knife? Try a wallpaper scraper to use to try and manoeuvre.

Chris - I tried with a utility knife, hence the not so neat edges. But it gave me just enough room to slid my car trim piece in. Unfortunately no wallpaper scraper to hand.

John - is silicone usual practice? Would be daft to use it here as there's a cockstop behind it with no easy access.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the loo cistern lid (and possibly the cistern itself) is stuck to the panel with silicone....see if you can remove the cistern lid and see what’s there.
John :)

The lid comes off and it doesn't look like the cistern is siliconed down. The top panel is separate

Attachments

• 20200620_215051.jpg
    20200620_215051.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 233
I can see the two pieces of panel now.....one more screw to shift, just above the cistern lid.
So, its either paint as per Andy, or some joker has applied the silicone which has a tenacious grip.
I reckon you’ll have to heave away, from the top.
Good luck with it!
John :)

assuming they are say no7 or3.5mm screws do you have a no10/12 or 5/6mm screw
my thought insert larger screw only into panel and see iff you can work it loose with any chewing up hidden by the cups

Thanks gents, gonna have another crack at it tomorrow. The paint is surprisingly stubborn against my trusty utility knife. It flexes most in the top right, but my trim removal kit isn't up to the task, need to find something metal to pull it off with.

You need to push it upwards, they usually hang on some brackets.

My bet would be the same as HERTS paint got into the gap around it maybe several years worth.
Just a word of caution some bathroom panels over ducts might be asbestos so bear it in mind.(y)

Chris - I tried with a utility knife, hence the not so neat edges. But it gave me just enough room to slid my car trim piece in. Unfortunately no wallpaper scraper to hand.

John - is silicone usual practice? Would be daft to use it here as there's a cockstop behind it with no easy access.
How do you know stopcock is behind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back