How to renovate this antique fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house with this lovely fireplace in need of a bit of TLC.

I do not really know what I am doing so would appriciate help:

Repair broken concrete in base.
Can I just mix cement and water and pour to repair the broken concrete in the base of the fireplace?

Right fire brick is cracked.
Was going to leave this put perhaps I could repair?

How do I polish up the hood of the fireplace?
Wire brush on a drill?
Should I paint it as well?

How do I clean the tiles?
Steel wool and white spirit?

We are not planning on using this fire, put should I use heat resistant paint for completemess?

Any other ideas welcom.

IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9993.jpeg
Ho

Sponsored Links
I expect the frame is also cast iron. Do you want it black iron or painted? To get back to iron it's paint stripper and rotary wire brush, then grate polish. If you want to paint it, just clean with wire brush, primer and paint.

I would leave the cracked side - the burn marks are all part of its history. Don't clean the tiles with wire wool. Carefully scrape away any paint with a scraper - you can sometimes use a hard plastic scraper for less damage risk. Use a strong detergent and scrubbing brush to remove dirt in grout and engrained in tile surface.

A bag of ready-mix mortar will be enough to put in the grate area and flatten off. If you are not going to use it, no need for anything fireproof.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning it back to black (not really black - more silver dark grey) cast iron.

I expect the frame is also cast iron. Do you want it black iron or painted? To get back to iron it's paint stripper and rotary wire brush, then grate polish. If you want to paint it, just clean with wire brush, primer and paint.

I would leave the cracked side - the burn marks are all part of its history. Don't clean the tiles with wire wool. Carefully scrape away any paint with a scraper - you can sometimes use a hard plastic scraper for less damage risk. Use a strong detergent and scrubbing brush to remove dirt in grout and engrained in tile surface.

A bag of ready-mix mortar will be enough to put in the grate area and flatten off. If you are not going to use it, no need for anything fireproof.

If it was me, I'd be cleaning it back to black (not really black - more silver dark grey) cast iron.

Thank you. Am going to try to take it back to black iron. The more authentic the better IMO.

How do I polish up the hood? Just rotary wire brush?

Is the frame the one immediately around the fire box, or the white painted part outside the angled tiles.

What is a good strong detergent?

Sponsored Links
You don't need to "polish" the hood - just get it clean metal with a rotary wire and hand wire brush and use this https://www.rustins.ltd/hotspot/our-products/paint/black-stove-and-grate-polish, but do be warned it will rub off on fingers and clothes to some extent afterwards. However it looks superb - much better than paint.

I think the white painted area with a pattern is iron as is the bit outside of that to the moulding.

Bathroom cleaner is usually quite strong.

Wire wool and white spirit on tiles! :eek:
If you really want to spruce up the fireplace, perhaps consider taking off those plain blue tiles and looking for Victorian picture tiles. You can find renovated originals or perhaps a wider selection @ Pilgrim Tiles where they stock good quality reprints. Not cheap but when you've put them on you'll appreciate going the extra mile.

You don't need to "polish" the hood - just get it clean metal with a rotary wire and hand wire brush and use this https://www.rustins.ltd/hotspot/our-products/paint/black-stove-and-grate-polish, but do be warned it will rub off on fingers and clothes to some extent afterwards. However it looks superb - much better than paint.

I think the white painted area with a pattern is iron as is the bit outside of that to the moulding.

Bathroom cleaner is usually quite strong.

Thank you so much. I am always amazed at peoples generousity with there time.
I now have a plan and am confident I will not damage anything!

Wire wool and white spirit on tiles! :eek:
If you really want to spruce up the fireplace, perhaps consider taking off those plain blue tiles and looking for Victorian picture tiles. You can find renovated originals or perhaps a wider selection @ Pilgrim Tiles where they stock good quality reprints. Not cheap but when you've put them on you'll appreciate going the extra mile.
I am tempted, but I like that the blue matches the hearve tiles.
It is for a bedroom rather than a feature room so perhaps a little less important!
Thanks for your time and response.

Well, it's your call - but when i see something like that my head fills with ideas; tiles file past in serried ranks, all colours, shapes and sizes on parade. It all gets a bit mad. I'd love a job like that at the moment.

It is looking much better, but the outer surround has a like a burnt pan seasoning on it which is hard to remove. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0507 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0507 (1).jpeg
    813.1 KB · Views: 41
Is it actually some sort of coating that sticks up above the surface? or just discolouration? If it's actually some sort of substance stuck to the surface a rotary wire brush in an electric drill should shift it. If it's just discolouration I suspect the grate black will cover it up. Try a very small area with the blacking and see what it looks like.

Is it actually some sort of coating that sticks up above the surface? or just discolouration? If it's actually some sort of substance stuck to the surface a rotary wire brush in an electric drill should shift it. If it's just discolouration I suspect the grate black will cover it up. Try a very small area with the blacking and see what it looks like.
I think it is some sort of substance. I feel like I could get it off the flat surfaces, but not off the detail. Not sure how aggressive to be with the rotary brush on the fireplace. I know it is metal, but will it still abrade?

That is shown with a thin layer of grate polish already applied, but the camera makes the contrast look worse than it is.

What paint should I use to paint the mortar in the base?
Can I get away with a wood primer then emulsion paint? Don't really want to buy more paint.

I'm not sure i'd go much further than you've already done - nice job, btw(y)
It's always tempting to get such things 'good as new' but bear in mind it's a Victorian piece and deserves to keep a hard earned wrinkle or two. If the 'burned pan' material is flaky then gently remove it but otherwise a rub down with a fine scourer should suffice.

I'm not sure i'd go much further than you've already done - nice job, btw(y)
It's always tempting to get such things 'good as new' but bear in mind it's a Victorian piece and deserves to keep a hard earned wrinkle or two. If the 'burned pan' material is flaky then gently remove it but otherwise a rub down with a fine scourer should suffice.
Will post a picture when the hood is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back