How to repair a white wall from filler n ripped lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - first post here.

A white wall currently has 2 problems (see attached photos):
1 - theres 6 marks where filler has been used and not sanded down
2 - there's a small area where the white paint and under-lining has been ripped.

I dont have access to any machinery, I do have the original white paint, and Im hoping to get the wall looking half decent again with your help and by going to a decorating store (I imagine).

I'm good at shelving n building aspects of DIY but decorating n repair work are new to me so go easy...

Any advice greatly appreciated, many thanks.

View media item 54974 View media item 54975 View media item 54976

Sponsored Links
No pictures showing....

Sanding down the filler shouldn't be too hard though getting through any paint applied over the top will take a minute or two, but you can always just dig it out and refill it. Try to avoid sanding the paper. Any powder filler like polyfilla will do just fine.
As for where the under paper (do you mean lining paper or is it the paper face of plasterboard ?) has torn - again, just fill over it using as big a filling blade as possible. The edges may lift and if so you will need to fix them down by damping well with water, then getting some PVA under the edges. Then fill again.
Sand down with a fairly fine sandpaper - 120 or 180 maybe when dry - you can always fill again if needed. Some diluted emulsion as a mist coat, then paint as normal.

However, I am guessing a bit as without pictures it isn't always easy to see what is wrong.

oops- added the pics now (see above). does your original answer still apply?
thanks so much for your advice.

i believe it is lining paper, looks like there's a couple layers.

thans again, Dan

Yup - my original answers hold true I think - looks like the first picture shows maybe a plug or something that needs to be removed or pushed in, then scrape back that mush and re-fill it - the rest can be made to disappear with some careful filling too.
Have fun !

Sponsored Links
Scrape the accents and fill it all with easy fill. Two three fills and will be ready for some paint. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back