Lining paper CRACKS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had hall lined by decorator and painted with matt.

Gaps in paper are very easily seen and i am unable to keep looking at.

I filled the gaps with reddevil one time filler, sanded and have done 2 coats of paint.

All looked ok but today noticed lines running across the wall were the gaps have been filled.

paint looks like a crack has formed on most of these filled and sanded gaps?

Just spend a lot of time filling and painting, but this has not sorted.

Do not want to have to strip hall and get redone as cost me quite a bit of money to get lined and painted originally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a picture?
When you say a crack do you mean an actual crack in the paint or a line in the finish? Did you prime the filler before painting, and are you brush or roller painting?

Regards,
footprints

Will get a picture.

No did not prime, just applied filler, lightly sanded down and then applied paint.

It looks perfect after painting but a day or two after this cracking seems to happen

Be nice to see your pic but I wonder if the filler is sticking to the paper but as it is a deep fill product perhaps it's not actually pushing right in and bonding to the wall, thats only a guess though.

Sponsored Links

Hard to see exactly but it does look as if perhaps the paper has shrunk a bit more after the paint has dried.

I would try just a few inches to see how well this works first.
scrape away any loose filler carefully with a fingernail or cocktail stick don't go mad and damage the paper any more than you can avoid, then refill using a fine surface filler like polyfilla and rub down with a soft block and glasspaper (rubber or wood with a felt pad, or one of those black abrasive pads) to smooth it, sand it after an hour or so, don't leave it overnight as the darn stuff goes off really hard then its a bitch to sand!

Leave it to harden overnight and ideally prime it with a little diluted paint, then a couple of coats with a mini roller feathered into the existing paint.

You may need further coats to build the texture of the sanded area up to that of the rest of the wall.

thank you for looking and helping me with this problem. i will let you know how i get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back