Lining paper advice for novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few questions about putting up lining paper for painting over. I am a complete novice, having never used lining paper or wallpaper before so any advice would be great but the main questions are:

Firstly - I have filled cracks/imperfections using Toupret filler and sanded these down ... there are some sections of wall with a lot of filled areas. Should I size these areas using watered down paste or is there something else I should use over the filler?

Secondly - there seems to be a lot of mixed advice about whether to butt the lining paper together or leave a gap and then fill ... it seems to be that most of the pros recommend butting together but some people advise that DIYers leave a gap as sometimes the paper can expand and overlap/leave cracks after emulsion painting which is then harder to deal with. ... Given that I am a novice with no experience of this would you still recommend butting together and if so how do I make sure expanding/overlapping etc doesn't happen? I get the impression that leaving a gap then painting and filling after the first coat may be more reliable for a novice but are there any disadvantages to this other than the increased workload (which I can cope with)?

I am using the 1400 grade lining paper from toolstation if that makes a difference

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you've not done papering before, you in at the deep end here.

Reason being, once it's painted, it's a major task to re-do any areas you decide you're not happy with.

I think deliberately leaving gaps could cause issues when trying to fill them later on. It may well show through after it's painted.

You certainly don't want overlapping, so a few gaps won't hurt.

Avoid getting paste on the surface of the paper.

Take your time, don't assume the paint will cover every mistake.

Best to hang the first length of paper on each wall dead vertically, by drawing a vertical line with a spirit level on the wall first.

Personally, when papering into an internal corner, I cut the length of paper vertically, so the first half stops right in the corner. Then I measure on the wall where the second half will finish on the new wall. At this point I draw a vertical line with the spirit level, and fit the second half. In the corner, there may be overlap to trim, or gaps to fill - as the corner will nearly always be out of true.

It rarely pays to go into a corner in one piece, as the paper can later bubble up, particularly if the corner isn't perfect.

That's great, thanks!

Do you have any recommendations for what to cover/size the filled areas with before papering?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Filling gaps in lining paper can cause massive problems. If you allow the paper to soak for long enough it won't shrink or expand on the wall, give 1400 grade about 6-7 minutes soaking time. Use plenty of paste, particularly on the edges. Prime your filler with emulsion watered down by about 25%, you are right that you can put a paste size on though. Its actually not a bad idea to size all the walls to even out the porosity to avoid the walls sucking the paste out the paper and causing adhesion problems.
If you do get an overlap with your paper, once dry you can gently rub it down. Plumb out of every corner is also essential. Have fun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back