Lining paper gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My mrs has decided to add a feature wall in our house. She purchased a couple of expensive rolls of wallpaper and states that it must be hung over lining paper. Anyway, she's hung the lining paper, 1400 grade but there are two joins that concern me. Most of the gaps are hairline around 0.5mm - 1.00mm but there are two gaps, one 3mm and the other is 5mm! I'm almost convinced that a gap this large will show through the paper? Would it cause a problem if I was to fill the gap with filler before the paper goes over? Does lining paper swell or expand when papered over? I just know i will have the job of stripping if it goes wrong or looks bad

Any advice will be grateful

Thanks

Jim.

Sponsored Links
Hi ya

You can fill the gaps with a soft filler such as red devil onetime.

There is a school of thought that says that lining paper should be hung horizontally to reduce the risk of joins overlapping and to mitigate tension problems. Personally I tend to ignore this rule, lining paper is seldom the same width as lining paper.

if the lining paper was hung with the starch "mix yourself type" paste then i would recommend that you hang the paper with the pva type premixed glue. It reduces the risk of the new paste activating the glue under the lining paper.

In theory I guess that the lining paper does indeed swell very slightly but provided that it was hung properly this should not present any problems

I always try and hang lining paper horizontally, if there are any gaps I fill with a fine surface Polyfilla or similar,

Like Opps said you can fill the gaps with filler and it should be fine. As for hanging lining paper horizontally. These days most lining papers come an inch or so wider than standard paper. So if you start from the same point the joins should never be in-line with that of the wallpaper.

Most lining papers are also made to withstand any form of shrinking or expanding when the wallpaper is applied on top. It's just a matter of getting a nice weight cheap wallpaper and following the soak time on the label.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back