how to repair blown render on a timber framed house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi please could any one advise how to repair.replace blown render on a timber framed house, what is the best material to use to allow the frame to breath?

Sponsored Links
how old is the house? use lime based render on a timber framed house , cement will hold in moisture and cause the frame to rot. cement render can be devastating to a timber framed house.

older houses will have laths to fix the render onto. these are expensive but there are other methods , breathable boards etc etc.

is the blown render cracked at all?

Sponsored Links
As an aside - trying to learn a bit here - shouldn't it be okay to cover a timber frame with building paper (or similar) and mesh, and then render with waterproof render ( mono couche, s&c, Sto etc) if there is a cavity to allow the timber to breathe? We have rendered hundreds of timber framed dwellings using a variety of combinations and AFAIK no problems with damp or timber rotting ( rough as a badgers behind obviously, but no damp or rot!)

it can happen in different ways , for instance , a timber framed house will move around , especially if it is old and has very little in the way of foundations. my own timber framed house (16c) has around 6 inches of its brick plinth below ground , just sat ontop of clay.
so , when the building moves the cement render doesn't and it cracks , moisture gets through these cracks and cannot escape thus causing a damp environment ar4ound the timber frame. lime render has a certain elasticity and it moves with the building so if dont properly , usually with hair it should remain weather tight.

another reason for rot is , if the walls are designed to breath , any moisture coming from below and rising up the wall will have no where to go , again this will rot the frame. this is especially apparent when people put a DPC in a building that should have a breathable floor. this forces moisture out to the walls that would otherwise have evaporated through the floor , the walls act like a wick sucking it up. now if the walls are sealed the moisture again has nowhere to go and the timber frame gets damaged.

i am at present having to remove 30 years of cement render and DPC'S from a 16c timber framed cottage. it stood for around 500 years with no problems until 30 odd years ago when someone decided to 'modernise' it with nice cement render.

i now have a whole wall of rotten studs to repair and 3 sole plates to replace as well as work to the brick plinth , ive had 60% of a clay lump extension disintegrate through moisture and frost damage and an old tudor inglenook that was cement rendered has crumbled into oblivion , i now have to get bricks especially made to repair this.

cement and old timber framed houses spells disaster for the house.

http://www.heritage-house.org/oakframing.html

this forum is worth checking out.
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
its off line at the moment though.

Totally agree about the need to keep repairs and additions sympathetic to the original.

I assumed that the first post was referring to a new timber framed construction. While we have rendered loads of units (possibly hundreds), I can't see teh sense in having a timber construction clad in a more solid outer skin of bricks ,or render, or blocks and render etc Rendering means a 15mm movement joint under every cill etc and careful use of movement joints elswhere, rather than the traditional methods allowing the buliding to move together. The thought of having a more rigid, 'stronger' and heavier skin onto a more flexible lighter skin does not make sense to me.

All of that said, I have not yet come acrss any problems (cracking yes) due to damp or rot in the timber frame.

Indeed ( sorry to those who have one) I wish there were more problems with them as they cut out a load of work for brickies and spreads and to be honest the lack of quality does not in my view make up for the little gain in speed - and teh cost to the end user is largely unaffected ie still mad dear

hi thankyou all for your comments the house was built approx 1700, it only needs patching where the render has blown in places, please could anyone advise the mix of lime render, is it something you can buy in a bag like cement is?

Also where the render has cracked what is the best way of reparing the crack and trying to stop it cracking again? many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back