How to replace an immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe my daughter's immersion heater has failed and may need replacing. Can I just disconnect the electricity, turn off the cold water supply and remove the old unit or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's about it. DO a Search on immersion - also emmersion I think I saw recently!

Perhaps also consider why the old one failed. Age is a good reason but if it was not old have a good look for other causes. For example, if the cylinder has a lot of limescale lying in the bottom so that part of the immersion heater tube was buried in it, this would cause it to overheat. As would the water level in the cylinder being drawn down exposing the element when it was heating - can happen with a badly installed shower pump.

Do not forget to drain the tank to below the level of the immersion heater head before removing the immersion.

Sponsored Links
A well insulated hot cylinder will keep the water hot for ages: I found the water in mine still hot enough for handwashing 24 hours after any heating being applied.

So if possible give it a day after turning off before you remove anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back