How to replace/clean a side entry toilet cistern ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had lots of problems with a very noisy / 'groaning' toilet which after having read threads on this forum i've put down to a faulty / old ball valve (sorry if i'm getting the technical names for this stuff wrong).

So I was first going to attempt to take it apart and clean it but i've never done any plumbing before and don't know where to start.

I've attached an image of it and was hoping someone could explain what I need to do.

I've gotten as far as shutting off the water supply! I just don't know which bit to unscrew and which tool I should be using.

I'm guessing if I were to replace it i'd need to buy something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/side-entry-toilet-cistern-ball-valve/88427

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
is it mains fed because some mains pressure ones are quite loud sometimes. maybe you could get a silent fill side entry valve that has a bit of plastic wrapping to suppress the sound of water filling up

is it mains fed because some mains pressure ones are quite loud sometimes. maybe you could get a silent fill side entry valve that has a bit of plastic wrapping to suppress the sound of water filling up

I'm not sure what mains fed means i'm afraid.

It has only started making the groaning noise in the past month or so - was totally silent for the 3 years i've lived here before that

you need to undo the leaver end of the valve remove the diaphragm washer, fit a new one, and it will be as good as new.

Sponsored Links
if its been fine for a while it's probably just old and some scale so better to get a new one in there anyway try for a silent fill one if you can get hold of 1 hopefully that sort the noise

By the way thanks for taking the time to learn how to post a picture, it gave me all the information I needed to diagnose the problem, and advise on the easyist remody.

I'm not sure what mains fed means i'm afraid.

It has only started making the groaning noise in the past month or so - was totally silent for the 3 years i've lived here before that

Turn off the main stopcock in your house, (doing this should turn off your kitchen cold tap). Press down your toilet valve, if water still gushes out then it is probably tank fed (tank in your loft). If it has stopped letting water than it is mains fed.

Ok so it seems to be mains fed as when I turned off the water supply it stopped refilling.

you need to undo the leaver end of the valve remove the diaphragm washer, fit a new one, and it will be as good as new.

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say the lever end which bit do you mean? Are you talking about one of the big white plastic rings with the notches on? What tool would I need to do this?

When you say diaphragm washer do you mean one of these? http://www.wickes.co.uk/ball-valve-diaphragm-washer-pk2/invt/421629/

Thanks for all the help so far!

Hi guys if anyone has answers to my previous post would be much appreciated - I want to try and get this sorted this weekend =)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back