How to replace my bathroom pull cord switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently wanted to change my bathroom pull cord because it was old and dirty. But by doing so, I broke it. So thought I'd just buy a new unit to replace the whole thing. But the new unit looks a little diffirent to the old one.
I'm now sitting with 3 wires that come from the ceiling. Black, red and green. The green one was just wired screwed in to the side of the previous unit and it seems there's a similar place on the new unit for it to go.
However I'm not sure what to do with the red and black.
On my new unit I have 3 places to screw them in.
One marked "one way"
One marked "2 way"
One marked "Com"

Which goes where?

Thank you in advance!! :)

Sponsored Links
red com

black one way
the black should have a red sleeve on it

Thanks that's fast! Nope no red sleeve on the black. Is it of significance?

simplified version:

the electricity comes in through the red one, and (when switched on) goes out through the black one. So the black wire is live when switched on. Red sleeving denotes "switched live" as black usually means neutral. You can use red tape or might be able to buy a little red sleeving at a hardware store. The switched live at the lamp fitting should be similarly sheathed.

this rule applies to all light switches and fittings.

If you ever take a ceiling rose off without marking all the wires and drawing a diagram, you will wish you hadn't.

Sponsored Links
Thank you John and Breezer! :D

For the first time in a year I have a bathroom light that works ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back