how to replace single light with 4 spots with 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can someone help. We want to change the existing single light in the bathroom for 4 spotlights and from a light pull to a dimmer switch (outside the bathroom!). If we concentrate on the lights first is this easier than changing the whole lot at once? :confused: There are three wires going in to the ceiling rose and I assume one of these is for the fan. Should I run all 4 new spotlights in a loop off the existing in and out or run separate wires in/out of each light to a junction box then on to the switch?
Please help before my husband losses the will to live? He's more than capable of changing like for like but wants re-assurance on this project!

Sponsored Links
the work you describe is notifiable under part P of the building regulations... ( blah, blah.. gatting fed up saying it but feel I have to.. :evil: )

anyway, standard warning over with...

yes just loop from one to the next using the switched live and neutral at the light.. use a junction box, please don't re-use the ceiling rose as is all to common these days..

be certain that the 3 cables are indeed live feed, switch and fan cables, it may be a live in / live out / switch cable configuration.

HUGE TIP>>>> take a digital photo of the connections in the ceiling rose, switch AND fan before you start disconnecting wires, and use masking tape to lable EACH wire..

It would be best to do both switch and lights at the same time, as you will need to replace the existing switch wire..

you will also need to change the fan if it has a timer as these don't like being dimmed :LOL: .. you can get ones with built in motion sensors that just take a live, neutral and earth feed, no switched feed..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back