How to replace stair handrail - spindles are 1inch/25mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I want to replace the handrail on our stairs but leaving the existing newel posts and spindles etc in place.

Existing spindels are 1inch/25mm but I don't seem to be able to find a new handrail that will accept this size of spindles anywhere?! (everything seems to be 32mm or 41mm).

Does anyone know:

1. What happened to 1inch/25mm spindles? Have they been phased out or something?
2. Perhaps I could 'pack out' a handrail with a 31 or 41mm groove to convert it to a 25mm groove - any thoughts?
3. How realistic is it to carefully remove the existing handrail without damaging the spindles / newell posts etc and then insert a new handrail etc and achieve a professional finish?

PS I'm doing this because existing handrail is dark stained wood and we have a new oak floor coming so I think a matching oak handrail would look great.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

PPS. If you guys think this is do-able my plan is to get a carpenter to do the work.

Cheers

Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back