How to route 5mm square from corner of 15mm square stripwood??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm having to replace an 80cm piece of stripwood in part of a window. The wood is 15mm square but has a 5mm corner taken out.
I've a router and square base bits but how can I route this please?
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
should I clamp the wood and slowly route the clamping piece and the stripwood?

Got a glue gun? Glue a strip of 15mm thick ply to a piece of plywood leaving a 15 x 15mm rebate long one edge. Spot glue your "stripwood" into this rebate - 800mm should require only 4 to 6 dots of glue. Rout your rebate. Detach the "stripwood" from the jig using a hammer and a sharp chisel. This is a modern version of the old fashioned sticking board which was used to hand plane small section beadings

Method 2: Take a piece of 18mm plywood, chipboard or MDF and drill a hole slightly bigger than the diameter of your cutter in it. Screw your router onto this so that the router cutter will pass through the hole when the router is plunged. You have now made a router table. Flip it over and set it up between a couple of trestles or on a Workmate. Adjust the cutter to get the 5mm depth of cut you require. Cut a piece of 2 x 2in PSE softwood about the same length as your router table diagonal. Drill an 8mm hole in the middle, about 25mm in from the edge. Drill an 8mm hole in one corner if the "router table" 25mm in from the corner. Connect the 3 x 2 PSE (your router table "fence") to the router table using an M8 x 80 to 100mm coach bolt, penny washer and wing nut. You now have an adjustable router table fence. Turn the router on and gently pivot the fence feeding it slowly into the router cutter until the cutter is inside the "fence". Turn off and back the fence off until the cutter takes a 5mm deep pass and lock the fence with a G-clamp or similar. Use the router table with a push stick or home made feather board to press the material against the fence, and a second push stick to push the last bit of material past the cutter.

16240477154743731925632113262075.jpg

The sketch is a bit crude, but I have made up router tables like this on site on a number of occasions - takes me 20 to 30 minutesusing scrap and stuff out of the van

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back