How to safely insulate this? With pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I safely insulate the back of this dormer?

It slops back about 90cm.

I was thinking 50mm of celotex in between the sloped joists leaving a 50 mm gap behind. Then filling the gap between the floor joists which is the living room below with loft insulation.

Is this ok from a moisture point of view?

Looking forward to your replies so I can ordering!

Sponsored Links
You don't need to board the rafters, You should insulate the ceiling joists though, and between the studwork, followed by some insulated plasterboard over the studs.

Thanks that makes sense. So insulation between the ceiling joists to stop the heat from downstairs going straight out that 90cm section of ceiling. Then 50mm celotex insulation in between the joists in the bedroom side leaving the sloped roof joists as they are now.

Then more celotex over the bedroom joists followed by a vapour barrier then plasterboard.

That sounds sensible to me.

Yup. But thicker in between studs if you can, then you'll get away with say 25mm over the studs, preserving room space.

Sponsored Links
I'm finally doing this part of the room!

I'm a bit concerned the 50mm air gap behind the celotex could be a condensation risk because unlike the diagram of a normal roof from freddymercurystwin my dormer isn't ventilated at all. I assume this will make a big difference.

I was thinking of maybe fully filling the space between the studs. Is this a bad idea?

Any thoughts would be great as the whole vapour thing is trying me a bit crazy!

Hi

The 50mm air gap is there to avoid a condensation trap and ensures that the roof void is ventilated this also reduces the risk of timber decay.

You may also need to consider introducing some eaves vents.

Regards

Thanks alittlerespect.

I think I'm low on options here. Behind this slope you can see in the pictures is a single storey flat roof extension. So there are no eaves to ventilate.

I actually don't see how I can ventilate the space. Leaving the 50mm gap without ventilation sounds like a really bad idea :confused:

Really not sure what to do. Full fill with rockwool then celotex over the studs and paint two coats of vapour barrier on the living room ceiling below? It used to be full fill but didnt have the celotex over the studs before so will colder behind there now. Maybe get some vent tiles?

There must be loads of people that have been in the same situation. I'd hate to have to redo this in a few years because I get it wrong now! All this insulation wasn't cheap. :(

Thoughts would be great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back