How to seal a gap between window unit and frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help a first time poster but avid follower of the forum :)

I've been looking around and can't find any posts that are similar to this issue. We moved into our house earlier in the year, and found that some of the wooden flush casement windows (installed c. 2016) appear to have been installed incorrectly (/badly?). Unlike other fixed units there are about 4 which have a large gap between the window unit and frame with no seal. The gaps are c. 8mm for each window. See pic below:

full

I've contacted several wood window companies in the area to ask about draught proofing, but they've told me they're stacked with orders so wouldn't get to us for several months.

I'm interested for any advice/guidance on whether there are some DIY options for dealing with this?

I'm not sure I could thread a seal down the gap so that it would make a solid contact with the wood. The other alternative I thought was using a sealant? I had briefly considered whether I could remove and refit the unit but having read more into it I understand there is a risk that I'd damage the glazing. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back