How to secure fitting for a rotary clothes dryer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of sorting my back "garden" out. Facing away from the house i've got a 40 foot long space which is the width of the house, the left half is now paved and the right half has been levelled off ready for laying a lawn next year.

We've got one of those rotary washing lines (the ones that spin round). It comes with roughly a foot long pipe which is narrowed to a point at one end so it can be hammered into the ground, currently it's in the right half of the garden which is due to be lawned.

My question is what would be the best way to secure the pipe into the ground? If I lawn the garden and then hammer the pipe into the lawn I risk not getting it vertical and also the hole widening as the wind spins the line around. I could cut a hole into the paving on the left hand side and set it into that which would be more secure, but how do I cut a foot hole into the slabs and hardcore underneath?

Does anyone have any suggestions please? Has anyone got one of these rotary lines and if so, how have you secured them please?

Your comments and advice are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Merry Xmas to you all.

K-Rod.

Sponsored Links
You could concrete the pipe into the ground either on the lawn or the paved area.

If on the lawn, you may sink a longer tube deeper (bit of scaffolding would do), and "pour" some gravel into it up to the desired depth of pole within the tube.

If you go for the paved area, then if you can lift a slab then dig a hole and pour concrete in. Depending on where you do it, you could possibly place the pole near a corner of the slab which could then be cut off. Or you could cut a slab in half and cut out notches around the pipe.

Or, if the slabs are small, you could use concrete to replace the slab.

if its on the grassed area go for concrette around 4" below the surface
this will allow the grass to grow even after the surface compresses and shrinks a bit and not show the concrette on the surface and allow cutting the grass without fear off dammage to the lawn more

Ive fitted a couple of these in my lawn and each time I did the following.

Dig a hole about 12"x12" and about 18" deep. Hold spike into the hole whilst pouring a bag of Post Fix mixture into the hole, and around the spike. Pour in the water (read back of Post Fix bag) and wait for water to sink into the mix.

I then carefully put the clothes pole into the spike and checked alignment. Carefully remove the pole and wait for mix to dry.

As said earlier, dont concrete up to ground level. leave a couple of inches to cover over with soil so grass will grow around the spike, and so the mower can run over it..

If you can change the spike for one with a flip-up cap, then do so. Helps prevent the spike filling up with rain water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all your responses.

I'm going to go with the lawned side simply so I don't have to dig up my newly laid patio.

Going back to Dextrous' comment about a bit of scaffolding, where would I be able to get that from?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back