How to set timers on my electric boiler to heat the water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new apartment and it has an Aztec electric boiler and a Tempest water tank but I have no clue on how to use it. I have a thermostat for the radiators so that just clicks on when i turn the heating up however i would like to know how to set a timer on the water tank so that it only heats the water at certain times. The landlord said that it just constantly heats however surely that can't be good for energy? I'd like to be able to set it to heat the water in a morning and before I get in from work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpg
    IMG_4838.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4839.jpg
    IMG_4839.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
The landlord said that it just constantly heats however surely that can't be good for energy?

Do you mean you are in a tariff that offers cheap power at certain times of the dsy?

Once the cylinder is hot, the thermostat turns off the heating, so it is not being heated all day.

I can't see any external time controls for the hot water visible in your photographs. I can see what looks like a single channel receiver for an EPH thermostat which will be for the central heating, but I would still expect there to be an external timeswitch somewhere for the Hot Water as well. It's a bit unusual not to have one, but if there isn't @JohnD is correct. The boiler will heat the hot water cylinder and once it's hot, the thermostat on the cylinder should switch the boiler off.

The boiler looks like an Aztec Classic and I seem to think that they do have integral time control as part of their controls. However, I believe that the time settings would also apply to the central heating, so maybe that's why its been set to be permanently 'on' so that it doesn't interfere with the EPH thermostat and stop it working. I believe that your landlord is obligated to provide operating instructions, but if not, you should be able to find them online if you search using the details printed on the boiler.

Regarding running costs, the insulation should keep the water hot until it's needed, so it shouldn't cost any more than heating it twice a day, unless you can take advantage of 'off peak' rates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back