how to shut off the radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Could you please have a look at the attached picture of the radiator valve and let me know how to shut it? I want to take the radiator off the wall for decoration.

many thanks
IMG_3122.JPG

Sponsored Links
It's a TRV that has had the head removed. To shut it off the centre pin needs to be depressed. Plastic caps are available that screw on in place of the TRV head to do just that.

Capture.JPG

If you have the TRV head, putting it back on and turning it down to the frost setting, should also achieve the same thing, but it can be risky if the temperature drops low enough for the TRV to open.

Hi, would you know the make of the valve in your photo as mine looks the same but has the wrong head. I was told it’s a Peglar which I purchased but the new one has a hexagonal shoulder as opposed to my original that’s square like yours?

Attachments

• A486270B-EE81-4B3F-9B34-ACA26E3D7D44.jpeg
    A486270B-EE81-4B3F-9B34-ACA26E3D7D44.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 115
  • AD7BF4AB-A8A1-4FB2-8886-ACB7B269ED77.jpeg
    AD7BF4AB-A8A1-4FB2-8886-ACB7B269ED77.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
I think yours is an older version ,not been produced for many years. Change the whole valve time !!

It's a TRV that has had the head removed. To shut it off the centre pin needs to be depressed. Plastic caps are available that screw on in place of the TRV head to do just that.

View attachment 134612

If you have the TRV head, putting it back on and turning it down to the frost setting, should also achieve the same thing, but it can be risky if the temperature drops low enough for the TRV to open.
@stem that pic is a wheel head and wont fit a TRV, the caps you are referring too are called decorator caps, they come as spares with most TRVs but everyone throws them away

Well I had nothing to loose so I trimmed some of the plastic on the underside of the new head and it’s fitted perfectly and I working fine too. Result

@stem that pic is a wheel head and wont fit a TRV

Sorry @ianmcd I don't understand that. :confused: When I take off a TRV head, I then screw the plastic cap on in its place and it closes the valve and lets me remove the radiator for decorating without any water escaping from the valve, which is what the OP wanted to do.

my apologies @stem , I have just googled and it seems that you can indeed get decorators caps with +/- on them, never seen them only ones I have seen are blank and completely closed or removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back