How to solve dip in chipboard floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the hallway there is one section of chipboard which has dipped slightly and it can be felt when you walk over it. The chipboard isn't damaged and seems as strong as the rest.
What do you think has caused it and how can I level it out [levelling compound on chipboard??]- I'm hoping not to have to replace the whole board....

Sponsored Links
I fear you may have the same as me :cry:

The chipboard slabs have tong & Groove edges. If the joint between two slabs does not fall over a joist, the joint is unsupported, depending only on the strength of the T&G... which can break. The chipboard then cracks and sags.

To check if this is the case, see if your "dip" is at the joint between two slabs. Then look for the rows of nail heads (which will be over joists) to see if the joint is over a joist. If not.... same prob as me... need to cut out the affected area, and put in a new piece supported by a joist at each end.

The dip is not at the position of a joint, it is about halfway along a length of chipboard which is otherwise ok.

assuming the joists are at 400 centres firmly fixed correct size and the chipboard is flooring grade firmly screwed down it wont move

so if your joists are fixed without movement you floor is at fault

and if your flooring is correctly fitted your joists are at fault

it has to be one or the other or both!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Big All, I agree, but he is also asking how to fix it.
I suppose lift it up & support between joist or whatever is necessary

Diyisfun said:
Big All, I agree, but he is also asking how to fix it.
I suppose lift it up & support between joist or whatever is necessary

yep your right :rolleyes: ;)

should have said take a look and tell us what you see :oops:

p2038748_x.jpg

:?: :?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back