How to fill holes chipboard floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom refurbishment I had to rip up some water damaged T&G chipboard floors and replaced with new MR boards. During this process I damaged the adjoining 'groove' therefore leveling a chunk/dip running the length of the board.

Ahead of fitting the vinyl flooring I want to fill/level this back up, what is the best to use for this?

Sponsored Links
Batten beneath the joints spanning the joint with chipboard rips or off cuts of skirting, etc and screw to one board (i.e. the "boilerplate" goes beneath the board and you screw down through the top board into it - you may need to reverse out and rescrew once or twice to get a good tight joint). Screw at 100 to 150mm centres, something like 4.0 or 4.5 x 50 or 45mm screws should do - avoid using overly thick or over long screws. When the adjoining board is laid, screw through that into the "boilerplate" that ensures a joint which doesn't move or creak if done properly. The new board can additionally be packed onto glaziers shims or horseshoe packers placed on top of the joists to level things up (these often come in thicknesses 1mm, 2mm, 3mm etc, in mixed packs) before fixing or alternatively the board can just be laid straight onto the joists and self levelling compound spread to take any discrepancies out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back