How to stop chimney creating draft

My amateur response:
Do you have a wooden floor?
If so, see if you can take up a plank near the fireplace.
If that solves the problem, put the board back, cut a hole in it and cover with a 'hit and miss' vent. The fire will have its draft, but won't have to chill you on the way (and you get extra underfloor ventilation as a side benefit).

Sponsored Links
Chimneys cause draughts by their design, thats how they work. Stop the draught, you die.basic combustion triangle, fuel oxygen heat. How efficient is another matter.

Coal fires were great, no double glazing, gaps roumd skittings etc. Less colds coz people sneezing across the room, all the snot went up the chimney.
Now everything is double glazed......the public are softer, expecting to mooch around the house in shorts and t shirts in winter.
I wonder what greta thumberg wears at home?

Not aimed at the OP BUT........

Fekkin entitled peeps and karens used to their i phones and sky subscriptions, big lips, fake tans, tattoos and ****. Pack em all in and feed yer kids.

My amateur response:
If that solves the problem, put the board back, cut a hole in it and cover with a 'hit and miss' vent. The fire will have its draft, but won't have to chill you on the way (and you get extra underfloor ventilation as a side benefit).
Unfortunately doing that doesn't comply with the regs

Providing everything is clear and how it should be you could stick a spinning cowl on it to help with the flue pull

Sponsored Links
Thanks as always Rab (and everybody). I just wandered round the estate, and can see the tops of some of the other bungalows here. They do seem to have (short) clay pots, with cowls on top - I assume mine is the same.

Last night was very cold here, so I got a good fire going. It draws absolutely fine, as long as air can get into the room... close the door, and you quickly get suffocated. So I'll have to look at making a vent, I suppose :sleep:

My amateur response:
Sadly floor is concrete with laminate!

Vent will need to be on the same wall as the fire then so the ventilation can travel to the chimney avoiding the sitting areas. With gas, that vent needs to be a specific size and will not have the ability to be closed, not sure with a solid fuel though someone with HETAS accred can probably advise on that

OK so on a slightly different note, we have a very cold airflow through the room.

When the fire's not lit (most of the time), it really cools the room. I've sealed the door as best I can, but it's only partially effective.

So I came across Chimney Sheep, and fancy giving one a go - only trouble is, my flue is too far up for me to measure the diameter.

However, I figure there will be standard sizes, and you guys will know them :sneaky:

I'm 99% certain it's less than a foot (30cm) - probably 9 or 10".

What do you reckon? (see pic above)

Good way of killing someone . . Someone house sitting or even just forgetting turns on the fire. Dead within 15 mins and yes it has happened

It draws fine, absolutely no problems, but we sit with our backs to the door, and there’s quite a cold draft on our backs when the fire is burning. The door is quite well sealed when closed – but when we close it to stop the draft, smoke starts to come into the room immediately. I’m guessing that, when we stop air coming in that way, it has to come down the flue – has to get in to replace the hot air somehow…

Is the floor in that room a timber suspended one? If so you could usefully add some vents near the fire, to draw air from below the floor, avoiding the cold drafts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back