Chimney and gas fire safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody help.

I have just moved into a victorian conversion. I am on the ground floor and own my property. All of the properties above are rented and owned by one landlord.

I have a chimney and a gas fire that was previously disconnected. I have had a gas safe engineer out to check the chimney and the appliance which have both passed and I have been given a certificate.

However, when I was spray painting tiles on the fire I had the guy from the top floor flat come down as he thought he could smell gas coming from his fireplace, obviously later found it to be paint. However, this shows that they are getting fumes on from the chimney further up.

1. Does this mean that I can not use my fire and my certificate is invalid?
2. Whose responsibility is it to fix the chinmeny given the ownership - I pay the landord a buildings maintenance insurance payment monthly.
3. If I do use my fire and someone gets hurt from Carbon Monoxide is it the landlords fault for not maintaining the chimney.

All of the other fires have been taken out so they are just open fireplaces where the tenents are shoving duvets up to stop the draft...another problem if I do use my fire.

My frusration is I own this property and would like to be able to use teh fire. HELP!!!!

Thank you sooo much!

Sponsored Links
1. Does this mean that I can not use my fire and my certificate is invalid?

YES. Discontinue use IMMEDIATELY. To be fair to the RGI, he may not have had access to other flats, and would (should) have ensured that smoke emitted from flue terminal. The reasons for lekage into the other flat are varied, but irrelevant - it is dangerous.

. Whose responsibility is it to fix the chinmeny given the ownership - I pay the landord a buildings maintenance insurance payment monthly.

This is subject to the terms of the contract. Is it actually insurance, or a pool of money available for maintenance of the common parts of the building. You need to speak to the fund manager.

3. If I do use my fire and someone gets hurt from Carbon Monoxide is it the landlords fault for not maintaining the chimney.

It MAY be a resposibility of the LL, but it DEFINITELY would be your fault. It is an offence to knowingly use a defective gas appliance.

Thank you for your response. I guessed as much but just needed somebody else independent to tell me I guess. Thanks again!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back