How to stop chimney creating draft

Sponsored Links
Block the bloody thing up, and switch on your CH.

I used to live in cold 1940's house, where we would have a roaring fire which we would sit very close to, your front would be toasty, whilst your back would be frozen.
Sod that.

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry if I haven’t explained things properly.

The house was built in 1994; the living room is just a normal room, maybe 20’ x 20’. Double glazing.

The chimney was cleaned last year, and used very little since then.

It draws fine, absolutely no problems, but we sit with our backs to the door, and there’s quite a cold draft on our backs when the fire is burning. The door is quite well sealed when closed – but when we close it to stop the draft, smoke starts to come into the room immediately. I’m guessing that, when we stop air coming in that way, it has to come down the flue – has to get in to replace the hot air somehow…

I suppose an air vent is the only answer…

It is also requirement under building Regs.
If you buy and have fitted a 5Kw stove (or smaller(, you don’t need a vent - subject to a satisfactory spillage test.

Sponsored Links
Well I think I figured it out in the end. While putting a picture up, I discovered that one of the living room's internal walls is partly stud - clearly it used to have an open archway into the dining room. I've checked other houses in the estate, and some of them still have it.

So I'm guessing enough air would have come through that way to let the fire breathe :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back