How to stop leaves blocking a 6" storm drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a storm drain at the bottom of the garden path which collects a large amount of rainwater and directs it into an adjacent stream. Unfortunately since it's only a 6x6" grate it covers over with leaves frequently during the autumn and all the storm water then floods my shed.

It's all set in concrete so it's a bigger job to get improved than I can do at the moment.

What I would ideally like is an atrium grate (as attached) which effectively raises the drain level but nothing seems to be available in the UK.

Does anyone have any advice?

71yarvGaQ5L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Dome grate from flat roof?

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I need but they tend to be round and the wrong size to fit on the existing drain hole. It has to be something you can stand on too. I will keep looking for the atrium grate and see what I can come up with.

Sponsored Links
Can you not fashion something out of wire mesh that can easily be removed for cleaning and then popping back into place?
A domed structure would surely stop the door in the background from opening?

What about fixing some 25 x 25 ( or a size to be decided) to the underside of the grate on 2 ( or 4 sides) sides so it lifts it up to a suitable height when placed back in the gulley. With 2 sides leaves may find way into gulley/drain but whether this would cause an issue depends on amount of leaves, trapped or untrappped gulley, size and distance of drain from stream. Temp solution and sort out with bigger job later

Can you not fashion something out of wire mesh that can easily be removed for cleaning and then popping back into place?
A domed structure would surely stop the door in the background from opening?

Wire mesh isn't ideal because it's right next to the shed door and will end up getting stood on. Nevertheless, this is what I've ended up doing. I've just ordered a regular domed leaf guard which is stronger than mesh but probably not strong enough to stand on. It'll do for now. The shed door is about 6" higher than the base of the drain but as you can maybe see from the picture the water gets quite deep here during heavy rain.

What about fixing some 25 x 25 ( or a size to be decided) to the underside of the grate on 2 ( or 4 sides) sides so it lifts it up to a suitable height when placed back in the gulley. With 2 sides leaves may find way into gulley/drain but whether this would cause an issue depends on amount of leaves, trapped or untrappped gulley, size and distance of drain from stream. Temp solution and sort out with bigger job later

The stream is about 10ft away and gulley is trapped but I have a similar drain further up the path who's trap is blocked and seems impossible to clear (just a sharp u-bend with a deep baffle in it, so very awkward to clear), so I'm trying to avoid so many leaves going into this one. I will try the domed wire mesh option as an add-on to the drain.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back