Outside Drain Partially blocked with Leaves/Silt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, but would be grateful for any advice. My driveway slopes down towards the house from the road to the garage which has a drainhole to the front of the door. The drain flows under the house to the rear garden to a soakaway.

Following heavy rain the drain cannot cope and ends up flooding the garage. The water will then usually drain away in approx 30 minutes. I believe over the years the pipe has become partially blocked with leaves and silt. I have a set of rods but am unable to get the rods in due to the depth.

Can someone suggest an alternative tool that would allow me to 'pull' the debris out? Or would it be best to get a contractor in?

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
More likely to be the soakaway - save some money and dig around to find the pipe into s/away then observe from that end when it rains :idea:

Thanks for the response. I believe the soakaway is located under a block paved terrace which is also covered in concrete!!!

You can clean the gulley out but I agree with Nige, its more likely to be the soakaway. Sounds like it cant cope with all the water at once, therefore backs up to the front, causing the flood.

Given time the water does percolate into the ground through the soakaway. Need new (bigger) soakaway, or an alternative point to drain to. Where does rainwater from the roof go?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear - you are more or less stymied . Only way appears to be a pressure jetting - but you might be able to get an idea of where the soakaway is by how far the jet can go , assuming it can travel to the edge of the soakaway

Thank you for your responses.

This has only really become an issue following an extension when the builder diverted the rainwater from the extension roof into this drain.

The only other real option apart from digging up the drive to 'install' a soakaway at the front is to run a pipe down the side of the house (subject to the neighbours permission) to the rear of the property and into the garden. I can try clear the drain out as best as I can and perhaps install some of those deep drain gulleys - accro drain? in front of the garage door to see if this resolves the issue.

Best I get saving!!!

Doubt the Aco drain will make a difference. As soon as it fills up you'll be back to where you are now. Only solution is to drain the water away, sounds like existing setup cant cope and now additional run off is added into the equation you've no hope.....

No easy solution.... :cry:

Get a fee to have it jetted out and see what happens, you never know it could be a blockage.

Get it jetted out!

Andy

Have to agree with Andy - even tho` he abuses me ;) - stay with the existing setup and maybe you could dig down and under to the garden side edge of the soakaway pit - then work something out from there

Apologies for sounding naive here but when you suggest getting it jetted out will that push the debris further into the soakaway blocking it further or this process force the debris out?

Really appreciate the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back