Covering a drain inspection cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
There is a drain inspection cover in my front garden and I would like to raise the soil level around it, which would result in it being hidden under the soil.

I assumed it was a sewage drain and was therefore planning to raise the cover with an extra layer of bricks and a new frame and cover.

However I have since discovered it is just a rainwater drain taking water from the house gutters.

Would it be acceptable to just cover it with soil and perhaps leave a marker to indicate its location? Or should I do a proper job and raise the cover as planned?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
There are lots that are covered, if you know where it is and it’s just covered with soil then it wouldn’t be too bad if you ever need access.

Sponsored Links
Make a feature of it by putting a planter on with flowers in it.
We have 3 in our back garden, at the bottom, so I made simple frames with raised sides and put a base in them. Drill a few drainage holes, line with double layer of weed control membrane to stop the soil falling through the holes and plant out with your favourite blooms.
If you ever need to get to the inspection cover simply lift up the planter and then replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back