Sealing Drain Inspection Covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a drain inspection cover located under the (removable) floor of a walk-in cupboard in the bedroom of a basement flat. It covers a T-join between the drains of two separate bathroom/toilets. After having the cover removed to fix a blockage, we now have occasional problems with drain smells in the bedroom. I can see no obvious damage of leaks.

It appeared to have been sealed with something resembling Red Hermatite and was a pig to remove when the blockage was fixed. What is the best material used by the pros to provide a reliable but breakable seal?

As a separate but important issue are there building regulation issues associated with locating an inspection cover in a position like this? I can see no obvious alternative location. The house is a large Edwardian terrace house with the public drains to the front of the property.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post but there doesn't seem to be a forum for drains and I can see no threads on this topic in plumbing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As per chappers' remark, you have the wrong type of inspection cover, so you need to dig out the old frame and replace both it and the lid.

Thanks all....I was rather afraid that might be the answer. What sort of pro do I need to look for? I'm assuming that most plumbers don't "do" drains. I guess I need to contact a general builder?

probably a builder but to be honest you could probably tackle this yourself.

You would need to break up the mortar imediately around the inspection hatch and lift it out get another one, but this time an airtight one, from the builders merchants and fit it back replacing the mortar as before.
tools required- a hammer , bolster and trowel
materials required- a bag of premixed mortar and of course the inspection cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back