INSPECTION COVER HEIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE 4 INSPECTION COVERS IN MY GARDEN,TWO ARE FLUSH WITH THE GROUND AND QUITE SHALLOW AND OBVIOUSLY FOR WASHING MACHINE ETC,THE OTHER TWO ARE FOR THE SOIL WASTE,THE ONE IN QUESTION IS 3 BRICKS HIGH AND HAS A INSPECTION COVER ON TOP OF IT(AND QUITE DEEP ),THE DRAINS FLOW DOWN THE GARDEN FROM THERE,IS THERE A SET HEIGHT FOR THE COVER ? BASICALLY I WANT TO LOWER IT SO ITS FLUSH WITH THE GROUND.IS THIS OK ?

Sponsored Links
WHAT SHOULD THE INTERNAL DEPTH BE ?THE COVER IS 10FT AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND 1FT BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE HOUSE[/url]

Sponsored Links
Sorry i suppose thats what you call shouting,Glad you felt the need to point it out.Does it actually make any difference ?,does it take up more space on site or anything like that,or is it just forum etiquette

Its harder to read

As for the question, the cover height is ground level. Thats it. There are no regulations

The cover level is currently 3 bricks above ground level,why ?, the depth is about 6 ft, but why would they orginally put it 3 bricks above ground level ?,can`t help but think there must be some reason.

When the covers were put in place there would have been no finished ground level to go by. Somebody just guessed at the finished level and got it wrong.

The cover level is currently 3 bricks above ground level,why ?, the depth is about 6 ft, but why would they orginally put it 3 bricks above ground level ?,can`t help but think there must be some reason.

maybe the contractors assumed a greater in-fill to the garden.

is it a large diameter i/c with a biscuit reducer?

There are two covers within 8 ft of each other(don`t know why ) both are 2 or 3 bricks above ground level with a inspection cover set into concrete,both are 6ft plus in depth,my guess is the same as jeds,not sure about the technical side of the pipes etc in there.They are only there if you have a problem i guess.So it should be no problem to bring them down to ground level ?

Drainage is put in first on a building site, and landscaping is done last.

Unless this is road or a footpath, no-one is going to be really bothered in altering a cover level

And your two covers are one for foul and one for rain water drainage

I've laid drain runs and built I.C.s that vary in depth from 225mm to 4m deep. There's no set depth for an I.C. it all depends on the length of run, the fall and ground levels. When you take them down, if you can get in the chamber, cut a piece of ply the same size as the internal dimension of the chamber and place in the bottom to catch the rubble. Much easier (and cleaner) when it comes to clearing up.

if you can get in the chamber, cut a piece of ply the same size as the internal dimension of the chamber and place in the bottom to catch the rubble.

good advice but have you ever tried to get a 900mm piece of ply through a reducing biscuit? :eek: :LOL:

put an extra-strong golf umbrella through the hatch, then open it

Put the hose down it afterwards ;)

Alternatively just put the lid back on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back