Lowering an inspection cover by a couple of courses of bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Would really appreciate some advice on the following job I have to do:

Just moving into a house where an inspection cover for the drain is set proud of the driveway by around eight inches and it's location makes it real awkward to avoid. The cover is cast iron and it looks like whoever did it made up some shuttering and set it into concrete, looking into the inspection chamber it's quite deep and the bricks look very smooth and dense deep red colour.

What would be the best way to get the concrete / cover off the bricks, work from inside with bolster chisels to break the joint?

My plan is then to again work from inside, remove 2 or 3 courses of bricks using a bolster chisel then re-bed a new cover on top. Would a 3 -1 sharp sand mix be best for this?

Thanks in advance,
Wayne.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pictures - too many variables to comment yet - the cover alone might weigh half a ton.

I should have taken some whilst I was there, the sale is still going through and I cannot get back for three weeks. I would have made it easier for sure, I'll try and elaborate more:

The cast concrete around the inspection cover is not that large, creating perhaps a 4" border on top around the standard sized rectangular lid and extending to a depth of 8" where it's laid onto the brickwork of the inspection chamber.

The driveway is narrow, seven feet approximately, made with poured concrete on a fair slope to the road. The inspection chamber/cover is not built into the driveway rather it abuts the driveway at a slightly skewed angle about six feet up the driveway whilst it is still sloping.
By bringing the height down I hope to make it possible to drive over the cover if required and certainly remove the chance of it fouling a car or caravan.

I was thinking of laying the cover level for strength / simplicity but it would create a small edge on this upward sloping driveway, but I don't see that as a problem for driving up. If I laid the cover at the same slope to match the drive would a thick bed of sharp sand / cement at 3:1 be strong enough or is there an advisable maximum thickness?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Wayne.

Your ideas seem to be sound, angle the top to the drive. One caveat though is that a cast iron cover might not be happy with the weight of a car wheel on it. I would research this before starting, or buy a new 2 1/2 ton cover, though it bends when you walk on it!
Frank

Sponsored Links
Check who's manhole it is, if it's the water Company's then they may not be happy with alterations made without their consent.

Your ideas seem to be sound, angle the top to the drive. One caveat though is that a cast iron cover might not be happy with the weight of a car wheel on it. I would research this before starting, or buy a new 2 1/2 ton cover, though it bends when you walk on it!
Frank

I have just done a quick check and it seems a 12.5 tonne B125 for driveways is needed so will make sure I get one of these.

Check who's manhole it is, if it's the water Company's then they may not be happy with alterations made without their consent.

It is an inspection cover for the sole property and also within the property boundaries, would that not have a bearing on ownership?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Any drain that serves a single property, is the responsibility of that property, until it passes under the boundary, or joins a shared drain. Shared drains (taking 2 or more properties), and any individual drains, from where they pass under the property boundary, are responsibility of the Sewerage provider, (Water Company).

If the chamber is just for the drainage on your property, then it's yours to maintain. If there are other properties using that drain then its the Water Company's asset.

Any drain that serves a single property, is the responsibility of that property, until it passes under the boundary, or joins a shared drain. Shared drains (taking 2 or more properties), and any individual drains, from where they pass under the property boundary, are responsibility of the Sewerage provider, (Water Company).

If the chamber is just for the drainage on your property, then it's yours to maintain. If there are other properties using that drain then its the Water Company's asset.

Thanks for the info. I will double check it's just for the property before proceeding.

Regards,
Wayne.

The water company probably wont mind you adjusting it even if it is theirs, but would probably appreciate being asked first. They may even do it for you if its theirs, (but don't get your hopes up! ;)).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back