How to swap a single radiator to a double?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya...
We have just moved into our house and have realised that we need a couple of radiators swapping to doubles, i was going to let the plumber do them this summer when have the boiler replaced, but i thought i may as well do them myself and save a few quid, but going under the floor boards i have realised that the pipework to two radiators goes vertical down through a joist, and this restricts movement somewhat, i was hoping that the pipes would move a little to allow me to move the pipe to fit a double radiator, is the only alternative to cut the pipework and refit, or would a plumber find an easy way round it?
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Most radiator brackets have a wide and narrow side for fitting which. Fitted on the narrow side it may give you enough room to change without too much pipe manipulation.

Most radiator brackets have a wide and narrow side for fitting which. Fitted on the narrow side it may give you enough room to change without too much pipe manipulation.
Thanks for the reply..
the radiators at the moment are unfortunately fitted very tight to the wall, i guess the only way round it is to re route the pipework.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
i will be changing a single to double at some point & was thinking if i'm a couple of mm away from the wall to get closer to the wall to file the bracket where the rad sits back a few mm & see if that helps, don't know if this would work with your setup ,but you never know

i will be changing a single to double at some point & was thinking if i'm a couple of mm away from the wall to get closer to the wall to file the bracket where the rad sits back a few mm & see if that helps, don't know if this would work with your setup ,but you never know
that sounds like a blooming good idea, i will have a look at that when i get round to it, thanks

"Double panel plus" aka "Type 21" radiators have two panels but they are relatively close together because there is only one convector; they will probably fit to pipework intended for a single. Of course their output is a bit lower than a double.

I'd not recommend trying to get a double closer to the wall than the small side of the brackets allow; this will reduce convection from the back of the radiator.

Reroute pipework into the wall and come out onto angles valves... looks much neater and easier to keep the floor clean beneath the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back