Worth moving radiators to be under double glazed windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 1960s semi-detached house with newly installed double glazing in most of the rooms (the rest is double glazed, but old). The double glazed window frames are 70mm wide and the glass unit is made up of 2 4mm glass panes seperated by a 20mm air gap. The radiators in the bedrooms are all on internal walls mostly opposite the windows and I'm thinking of having them replaced when I replace the boiler. My question is whether it's worth having them moved to be under the window or whether my double glazing does enough to mitigate the problem of draughts caused by air rising at one end and falling at the other or whether I'd find the room more evenly heated if I put the radiator under the window (in the room with new double glazing I can only feel a slight difference between each side of the room, but I can't tell whether this just comes from being near the radiator or whether it's because I've got the wrong sort of circulation going on. The windows are fairly large (over 2m2) and I'd say that at least 50% of the exterior wall area is made up of window.

I realise that this question has probably been asked before, but it's been quite difficult to get a definitive answer because websites often say things like positioning radiators in double glazed houses doesn't matter "as much", which makes it sounds like it does make a difference, just not a big one: my question is how much and is it worth getting a plumber to run two pipes through about 10 joists in a 1960s house when I get the radiators changed. Also, if it matters not quite 'as much' why do new builds still have their radiators under the windows, which are often alot smaller than mine.

Also, if I when replacing the older double glazing, would windows like Everest's Heatlok Plus (or some equivalent) go even further in reducing the problem? In otherwords, should I solve this via trying to upgrade the glazing or should I just accept that whatever I do, leaving the rads where they are is always worse than moving them? I want to get this right because moving the radiators will be quite a pain and I only want to get it done if it 's worth it.

Sponsored Links
Only move them if they are in the way of some furniture or layout you plan to have :idea: Rad under window went out with decent D/G. :New Builds :LOL: have what they get cheapest and stuck where it`s easiest for the "plumber" :rolleyes: to stick them - Allegedly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back