How to take off a door handle mechanism . . . .help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - I need to take off a door handle mechanism (see picture) so that I can plane the door edge as it is not fitting the door frame very well. I'm a little nervous about taking it off and getting it back on again.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Is it easy? Any special tools?

Many thanks.

View media item 65874

Sponsored Links
Planing the latch side is risky.

If it means removing material from where the latch is seated, this may result in you having to sink the latch in further thus having to alter the spindle holes also.

It is more economical to remove material from the hinge side and then re-cut the hinges.

However, if you are just touching the top or bottom edges then crack on.

Everything you see in the image is removable, just undo the screws.

You've taken the screws out of the lock but it won't pullout because the square spindle joining both handles runs through the middle of the lock. Remove the 2 screws holding the circular bit to the door, you may also have a tiny grub screw in that hole on the lever, this bites into the spindle with a sharp point and will need unscrewing. You should now be able to remove the handle, then slide the square spindle out, no need to remove the other handle

BUT, once you have planed the door you will need to sink the lock deeper into the door, putting it back where it was will mean it won't sit flush with the door because you've planed wood off, sink the lock deeper into the door and screw in place then slide the spindle back in and refit the handles in their new position

Note to self, don't stop halfway through typing to put kettle on!

how much needs removing?
it might be possible to just cut the hinges in a tad deeper either on the door or the frame to get it to shut properly.

Sponsored Links
Just as gregers said, but if the clearance on the hinge stile, door to post was/is sufficient, pocketing them into the post would eliminate any planing of the door at all...pinenot :)

You remove the grub screws [with a small flat blade screw driver or more likely an allen key] on the handles which will release it from the spindle, you will also need to remove the handle fixing screws which appear to be the double ended type so you will need a screwdriver on each side to stop it just spinning.

Thanks everyone, really useful stuff. I might look at the option of cutting in the hinges a tad. Is this easy and any special tools I should use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back