how to take off rads, for wallpaper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi!

im planning to wallpaper my hallway and landing. and also, at a later dte, lounge.

this equates to 3 rads in the feckin' way.

so how do i take it off?

and also, afterputting it back on after, do i need to top up my system, or does it just work by magic?

my system at the moment is them old boilers and headertank in the loft, with a hot water tank.

so how would i go about this?

do note, im not sure if this belongs in decorating forum or plumbing

Sponsored Links
so how do i take it off?
Fully close the valves at each end, place tray or tub under the large nut between radiator and valve, loosen and undo nut, water pours out, repeat for other end.
When no more water in the radiator, lift it off the brackets.

The water from the radiator will permanently stain and ruin carpets and any fabric, so do not have any of those nearby when doing this.
Don't carry the 'empty' radiator over carpets elsewhere either.

If it will be off for any length of time, fit a brass cap over both open valve ends to prevent leaks - this is particularly important if you have a thermostatic valve as it may automatically open if the temperature falls.

and also, afterputting it back on after, do i need to top up my system, or does it just work by magic?
An open vent system should refill automatically via the small expansion tank in the loft but look in it first as they are often filled with crud which you do not want to be washed down into the rest of the system.

No magic involved with this or any other plumbing.

I find it time consuming and difficult to drain a rad down that way so I’ve always done it slightly different. Turn off and undo both valves but keep them pushed towards the rad. Plenty of old rags around/under the connections helps. When both undone, unless it’s a smallish rad, get another helper, move valve away from rad and immediately stick thumbs over rad connection. Lift rad off wall, turn upside down and carry out of room to empty it. As before, make sure you don’t spill any of the black, inky $hite inside the rad on your carpets.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...7.8793j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

They make it look easy :sick:

When replacing radiators,If your heating system is a sealed system it will need to be manually topped up,if tank feed it :cautious:should top up automatically whilst bleeding air.

Try not to get shytie bleed water on your professionally decorated wall :(

Saying all that,the full time decorators i know and use never consider taking radiators off the walls.They work around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I've always loosened the pipe connections just enough to lift the rad off it's bracket and lay it on the floor and then tighten the connectors.Do the decorating and then reverse.
Saves a load of time and hassle.Rads will be heavy so might need 2 people

You can... if you’re able... and you have play on the pipes... slightly undo the unions/valve to rad nuts (after closing valves down)... lift rad up about 1/2”, off the brackets and rotate it gently down to the floor so top is on floor and then tighten the nuts back up. Leave it there while getting a coat or two behind the rad, then reverse the above to put it back! (y)

I've always loosened the pipe connections just enough to lift the rad off it's bracket and lay it on the floor and then tighten the connectors.Do the decorating and then reverse.
Saves a load of time and hassle.Rads will be heavy so might need 2 people

Damn... you posted while I was still typing :(;)

Yeah, I’ve done that too but make sure you support the bottom (wall end) of the rad with some blocks of wood or something. It’s okay for the top of the rad to touch the floor but not the bottom as it may do some damage to any pipes under the floor boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back