Taking a boiler off the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, A friend whos gas reigistered is installing a new heating system for me in a couple of months. But I need the boiler moving sooner. He is busy at the moment and im trying not to bother him.

So my question is....Is cutting off the gas and taking the boiler out going to take long to do, more than 2-3 hours for example? If it is i'll get someone in for that bit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not normally to do with time spent, it’s usually about safety. Get someone in, who’s gas safe registered. I’d imagine it’ll take 3 hours plus, depending on what’s involved and type of system.

1. Only someone who is Gas Safe registered is allowed to disconnect the gas. It's not just a question of turning the gas valve off and removing the boiler. The gas has to be made safe, properly capped and tightness tested.
2. If you got someone in to make the gas safe, you could remove the boiler and all its water and electrical connections yourself, although you need to make sure the electrical side is safe as well.
3. The time required depends largely on what you have at the moment:
3a. For a combi, isolate the incoming cold, drain down the heating system, disconnect water pipes, disconnect prv pipe, disconnect condensate pipe (if condensing boiler), disconnect and make safe electric items, remove flue header, take boiler off wall, remove flue and (probably) make good flue hole.
3b. For a sealed heating system with system or heat only boiler, pretty much as combi, plus drain hot water cylinder primary coil.
3c. For an open vent system, isolate, clean and remove feed and expansion tank in loft, then pretty much as sealed system.
4. You might do it in 3 hours, but a slow drain down and a difficult flue removal job you could double it. This is without any time for making good.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents, very helpful.
I'm also having the meter moved so it will be turned off also. I assume that even after that there will still be gas left in the system and that someone else should do what I was talking about on the original question?

I'm also having the meter moved so it will be turned off also.
well when they move the meter, tell them you dont want the outlet connected to anything, they probably wont anyway unless you pay extra then when they do that do that then remove away

Ok thanks.
There is a gas fire that's not been used since we moved in. And a capped off pipe that used to feed the oven. Will they pose a danger?

If they’re capped off, then no risk. If they’re connected and meter is capped - no risk.

Ring cadent and tell them you can smell gas , they’ll be round very quickly and cap your meter , tofo .

Don't forget to apply your earth bonding clamps across the meter if it's been disced and swung out if working on the gas carcassing! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back