boiler turning itself off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
New here and already need help. :cry:
I've just removed a radiator from one of my rooms and capped off the pipes, now the boiler either won't fire up or fires up for a minute and then cuts out.
I'll try and explain exactly what I did.
The system is open vented, tank in attic, with British Gas RD1 boiler and hot water tank in airing cupboard.
I set boiler thermostat to 0 then turned off gas and electric , tied up ball valve in loft then drained system. After cutting and capping the pipes I released the ball valve to refill the system then bled it (ground floor then 1st floor).
I then turned electric and gas back on and followed lighting instructions for boiler i.e switch on electric turn thermostat knob to 6 and wait.
Please help winters coming

Sponsored Links
how long did it fire for if only a min or two the pump maybe airlocked so overheat stat in boiler kicked in.
and won't fire back up to water has cooled enough.

check if the pipe to the pump is hot etc

Sponsored Links
Tried again, after leaving it for an hour, again fired up but cut out after 1 minute

Thanx for that tip.
Just had a look at pump. Pipes cold and it does sound like there is air in the pump. Can you tell me how to bleed it?

you can either stick the pump on max speed 3 and that can clear the air or turn the pump off and remove the centre screw and bleed pump.

is their any pipes near pump with a bleed valve on. it will be higher than the pump etc.

Yes there is indeed a pipe that goes up higher than the pump and terminates with what looks very much like a bleed valve. There is also a link pipe between the bottom feed of the hot water tank and the out feed pipe of the pump with a gate valve which is turned fully clockwise. Do I bleed it with the pump off or on?

bleed with pump off just place a towel under vent.
pipe with gate valve is just a bypass, don't worry about that and leave the gate valve where it was.

just undid center screw and tons of air came out, so hopefully it'll solve the problem, but boiler won't fire up yet have to leave it a while to cool I suspect. Your my new best mate thanx so much for the advice :D

is the pump/pipes getting hot and pumping water round you may not have shifted all the air

Pump's definately going, can't hear air anymore, but pipes not getting hot I've opened center screw a few times and no air seems to be coming out now. My son suggested re-connecting the pipe and opening the drain valve with the pump running to see if it flushes the air out. Any thoughts? Last time I tried it only fired up for about 40 secs.

air won't flush out a drain valve air only gos up.

have you bleed the upstairs rads ? did water come out after all the air ?
is the loft f/e tank still got water in it ?
turn the pump up to full speed, turn the heating on,

make sure all rads are getting hot as they can get airlocked.

the air may not always be trapped around the pump can be trapped anywhere in system.
i would still say you got air somewhere if the pump is not circulating the hot water away from boiler.
on older system it can take ages to remove all the air.

you can put the hose on the drain cock and drain some water and also check the ball valve in the loft is refilling the f/e as your draining some it can shift an airlock.

Checked all radiators again, no air just water F/E tank full and valve opens when ballcock pushed, God this is baffling :confused: I opened what I thought was a bleed valve above the pump but nothing happened.
I'll try draining and refilling again. Also tried running pump at faster speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back