How to terminate an unused mains cable in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Doing up my bathroom at the moment and there was a twin/earth cable coming down from the loft to power a shaver socket. I dont want a shaver socket in my new bathroom so i got rid. When i fed the cable back up into my loft, i noticed it goes back down into an unaccessible part of the loft. This part of the loft isnt really that accessible as its right into the shallow bit of the roof.

Is it ok just to terminate this cable somehow? How would i do this safely? Choc block then leccy tape?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Since where you are doing the termination is accessible, a regular circular 20 amp 4 terminal junction box (available from any DIY shop) will do just as well.

Why not use a (surface mounted) socket----that would give you a useful addition to the loft?

Why not use a (surface mounted) socket----that would give you a useful addition to the loft?
If, as is common, the shaver socket was supplied from a 5A/6A lighting circuit, that might not be an ideal idea. Not unsafe, but people might be tempted to plug in an excessive load.

Kind Regards, John

And most importantly for the future.

Write on it - what it was and where it went.
If it's still live -- say so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back