Terminating Redundant Unused Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In one light switch an unused cable has been terminated by taping over the conductors.

During landlords electrical safey inspection (not reqd in Scotland but never mind) this was picked up and id'd as a category 2. I feel duty bound to sort this out even though the electrical check is not required by law.

Is is as simple as termina :D ting each wire with a bit of choc block inside the backbox? Or, should I terminate the cable in a circular junction box and push it into the drywall.

The other end of the cable lives in the loft and will be terminated with a circular box.

Advice much appreciated

Adrian

Sponsored Links
So there's an unused cable run in dry wall which has one end in a light switch, one end in the loft - why not just pull the cable out?

If you must leave it in, I'd put a bit of choc block in the light switch - your other option makes it very unlikely that someone would be able to retrieve the circular box, or even know it's there...

If you cannot pull the cable out it would be better to put the conductors from the cable into the earth connector on the switch back box.

If you cannot pull the cable out it would be better to put the conductors from the cable into the earth connector on the switch back box.

Not if it's still live at the other end!!! :eek:

If you don't have the knowhow and confidence to trace the cable and disconnect it at the other end (assuming it is still connected there, and it's not a multi core cable with some cores still in use) then it would be easiest for you to terminate any unused wires into their own respective terminal blocks. You can then push this towards the rear of the backbox where it will be out of the way.

Sponsored Links
I would put connector blocks or crimps on the ends of the cable in the switch box and a joint box on the cable in the loft as the cable is not in use.

Although any unused cores of a cable should really be earthed.

That's an innovative suggestion.

And when I say innovative, I mean reckless.

Earthing unused cables ensures that the circuit fuse blows, if the cables were accidentally livened up at a later date.

Earthing unused cables ensures that the circuit fuse blows, if the cables were accidentally livened up at a later date.
Please give an example of the type of accident that would lead to the cables becoming live.

Goldberg,

you still have not explained why it is reckless to earth unused conductors?

Sorry, so what's the best practise in this scenario then? 'Cause I also have redundant unused cables as well under my floorboards that I could do with making safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back