How to test a neon screwdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

just read the large post from ages ago on neon screwdrivers . :rolleyes:

and I absolutely don't want to start another but ;

How would you quickly then test one with a multimeter? I've had several neons over the years as backups for a simple check, but I've got one now which lights up when you are touching both ends of it. Seems odd to me.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
you dont you throw it away.

seriously throw it away

you cant test a neone "tester" screwdriver with an ordainairy dmm

You mean throw it away because it shouldn't light from contact at both ends, or throw it away because they're useless/dangerous ?

Pete

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean, It's just that it's the only one of several neons which has lit doing this. Maybe just more sensitive. ( the neon not me )

Pete

You can get a simple tester with two probes that will do the job... I use a Steinel where one probe has a biggish handle (with finger protectors) and a small metal point, in the handle are a row of LEDs to indicate voltage (from memory, something like 6v/12v/25v/50v/100v/200v/400v, plus a polarity/AC/DC indicator.

the other probe is just a simple one with finger protectors and a small metal point. You touch one probe to earth or to neutral, and prod the other at whatever you want to test.

There is a double-insulated cable between the two probes.

There should be fuse inside one of the probes.

The whole thing can be put in a biggish pocket; it is small, simpler and quicker to use than a meter for identifying live circuits. It is also accurate enough for the job.

Yes John, I was looking at voltage indicators yesterday. I must admit though, for the price of the ones I saw, (£45-£70) I'd have been tempted to invest in a new DMM.

I suppose that price is miniscule too, compared to if you had a problem with a duff neon.......................

Thanks for all advice,

Pete

Mine is much thinner than the ones I've seen recently - not much bigger than a fat fountain pen. No torch, no buzzer, no semiconducor testing, just volts. Suits me fine!

Not like
f1_2.JPG
or
55_2.JPG

JohnD said:

i have one of those. still going strong after 3-4 years, altho i have replaced the wire between the to parts 2 month ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back