Is This A Neon Tester Screwdriver ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I am new to this forum and wonder if I can ask a little advice on an electrical matter. I have just managed to replace a broken ceiling pendent light fitting, and whilst doing this I was very careful not to make any stupid mistakes and get a shock.

Whilst purchasing the pendent fitting out of B&Q I also purchased a Stanley live conductor tester which looks like a screwdriver with some sort of bulb and spring/coil inside it. Although I have a multimeter, I thought this would also be useful as an additional safety check. However on reading the instructions I was perplexed that you have actually to touch the metal cap at the end of the tester when testing a potentially live conductor. I didn’t feel confident enough to try this, having never used such a tester before.

I have read with interest the previous thread on this forum entitled “got a Neon Tester Screwdriver yes then read this…”, and what I am wondering is whether the tester I have bought is indeed one of these “Neon Tester Screwdrivers” or is it some other type ?

I have placed 3 photos of my tester on a page on my web-site :-

http://www.rossua.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tstscrdrv/

Can anyone tell from these photos what type of tester this is ?

On it, it says 220-250V, from which I presume this is the voltage range that lights it up.

I am also puzzled as to the advice to “Test before use” in the (very terse) instructions. How exactly could it be tested ? No explanation is given.

Does anyone have any comments on how safe these testers are ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards.
Ross.

Sponsored Links
Yup that is a neon tester screwdriver :cry:
Two words.........BIN IT :eek:
Those types of screw drivers work by basically using you as an earth!!!
Not a good idea to have any sort of current going through your body so its just best to get rid and invest in a good quality insulated testing device which is also fused.

Sponsored Links
How do you stop an ashtray on a motorbike from getting damp or wet??? :LOL:

Your multi-meter is by far the better tool, you can get neon drivers that work on induction rather than conduction but they can be very misleading.

If these neon tester screwdrivers are so dangerous why are they even sold in the first place ? How can they get the various quality markings such as CE ? And why does a reputable company like Stanley manufacture them ?

:confused:

I suppose companies make them because customers will buy them.

And they can be made to the standard.

If there was a BS for Chocolate Teapots no doubt someone could make then to the standard.

Rossua said:
If these neon tester screwdrivers are so dangerous why are they even sold in the first place ? How can they get the various quality markings such as CE ? And why does a reputable company like Stanley manufacture them ?

:confused:
It is not the drivers that are dangerous it is just the way they are used by people who do not have the proper knowledge. When they first came out many years ago they were a handy tool that an electrician could keep in the breast pocket of his jacket. It is just like anything else though nowadays people are gullible to a sales patter. Remember a circular saw could take your leg off if not used correctly but you can still buy one at B & Q.

Thanks for all replies. I think I'll stick to using the multimeter as you know you are insulated by the probes. With electricity 100% sureness is needed. I had a mains voltage shock many years ago when I was young and I wouldn't fancy it again.

Thanks and Merry Xmas !
:)

Daz66 said:
How do you stop an ashtray on a motorbike from getting damp or wet??? :LOL:
Easy - Mount it under the filler cap on the tank. Just flip up the filler and drop your cigarette in :p

i still maintain that provided they are looked after (primerally kept dry) neon screwdrivers are a good method for isolation testing because they measure voltage relative to *YOU* not to something like the backbox which you are just hoping is earthed.

good point, i often see people testing between live and a supposed earth.

is a 0v reading reliable if the earth isnt an earth?

I am beginning to see the point of this tester. With the multimeter you only measure the difference in potential between two points in a circuit. If both those points are at 240Volts relative to you, then they will register zero volts on the multimeter, but will give you a serious shock if you touch either of them. So getting a zero reading on a multimeter is not exactly a foolproof safety check.

The only question I would have now is is the neon tester VERY safe, ie even if defective is there absolutely no way you could ever get shock from it, as long as it is not damp ? I still don't want to touch that button ! It's a bit like the first time you try abseiling off a cliff, where taking the rope and leaning over that cliff just feels not quite right somehow, even though you've been told its safe !

Rossua said:
The only question I would have now is is the neon tester VERY safe, ie even if defective is there absolutely no way you could ever get shock from it, as long as it is not damp ?

The problem is that the neon can fail without warning, so it will not show that a live circuit is actually live.

If you are not properly earthed, then the screwdriver will not light, so it will not show that a live circuit is actually live.

The screwdrivers CAN short internally, without warning (or moisture) resulting in the end becoming live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back