Usb testers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i have a USB -A tester, I am after a USB-C tester now, however am I using/reading the usage correctly or is it faulty parts my end?

So over the years I have acquired a lot of cables for gadgets. I have a 10 litre box full of spare USB-A to USB micro-b and lightning to both usb c and a types.

when testing on the usb-a the mA reads .16 to .22 when testing usb-a to lightning it reads about 1.1 mA

so, does this mean I am reading it wrong, using inferior micro cable type or is it the device I am charging or using a bad tester?

my tester reads mV and mA

here is a link to Amazon Usb reader

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I have misunderstood your question :)
Your tester is designed to measure the current draw of a device plugged into the USB supply *.
Using the tester to 'measure' the current draw of a lead isn't really of any relevance.
It may tell you that the lead is working, and it may possibly tell you that one lead could have a different resistance to another, but with a listed +/-1% accuracy on the current range, any small differences you notice are really in the noise.
I also question your measurements - the listed device has a resolution of 10mA, so I don't know how you get a .16mA reading :)

*Edit, it's also a useful device to check the USB supply under load. I.e. if when a device is plugged in, the voltage drops far below 5V, there may be a fault with the supply, or the device could be causing an overload.

Last edited:
I also question your measurements - the listed device has a resolution of 10mA, so I don't know how you get a .16mA reading :)
As I imagine you have also presumed, given the photos of the display, I suspect he means 0.16 A (i.e. 160 mA).

I have to say that I somewhat struggle to think what useful purpose this gizmo might serve :)

Kind Regards, John

I have to say that I somewhat struggle to think what useful purpose this gizmo might serve
I think you missed my edit.
I thought I would try and give an example of a legitimate use :)

BigClive tends to use them regularly to weed out dodgy USB power banks with hugely inflated mAh ratings, as well as testing supplies with a variable load - example here if anyone's interested :)

Sponsored Links
I think you missed my edit.
I did.
I thought I would try and give an example of a legitimate use :) .... BigClive tends to use them regularly to weed out dodgy USB power banks with hugely inflated mAh ratings, as well as testing supplies with a variable load - example here if anyone's interested :)
Fair enough. However, I don't think that the power banks with ridiculous claimed capacities (up to at least 20,000,000 mAh, with a size that would fit into my palm!) make any claims about current-supplying capabilities, do they?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back