1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

USB charging points

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by prefab, 7 Aug 2017.

1. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Damnit. Wot 'e said

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Ah yes. New Apple products requiring all new leads.

4. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Apple are late to the party in terms of mobile devices, which let's face it, is what you're gonna be charging from a built in outlet. To charge my MacBook Pro the socket would need to give me 3A at 20.3VDC rather than a measly 2.1A at 5VDC. You'd need a 47mm backbox with a spacer to fit that in a backbox!

5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How big is your pond? Mine is 2500 galons.

Andy

6. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quite so - and, as I often say, it would not surprise me if in another couple of decades or so (maybe sooner!) we will have moved on to something other than 'USB anything", so future generations may be asking 'what are the funny holes in our electricity sockets?'! That's at least one reason why I have stayed clear of the things!

Kind Regards, John

7. canduit

canduit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My slightly old Samsung tablet charger outputs 5.3 volts and my newer iPad charger outputs 5.2 volts. You may find that a USB socket takes longer to charge your tablet.

8. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The USB spec specifies 5.25v as the maximum voltage (and 4.4v minimum) so it would seem your Samsung tablet charger is out of spec, either by design or by fault.

9. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a selection of USB sockets, all double 13A but some with 2 USB and some with 4 USB, it would seem Apple is odd one out with USB, and don't follow the rules, however the USB sockets seem to charge all our USB equipment including my camera batteries which are actually around 8 volt, clearly some sort of switch mode system to raise the voltage.

They all seem to pair output sockets so sockets with 4.2A outlets are still only 2.1A per pair, so a 3.1A twin outlet socket can actually charge quicker than a 4.2A if only charging one item, think we have three in this house, one in my own house and one in the caravan. I think I will be fitting more as they remove the need for so many four way extension leads filled with wall marts.

The 3.1A I think only give 3.1A to a single apple device, the other make seem not to use the extra even if there, so 2.1 is ample even shared between devices, at £12 to £13 for the LAP and British General 4 USB output sockets 4.2A between the 4 sockets it means you can charge all phones all the time at home only being unplugged when we go out, before it was a case of taking one item off charge to be able to charge another. I have been considering the socket shelves [​IMG]

10. Sponsored Links
  11. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Japanese word for Carp is Koi, so if you have Koi Carp you're saying you have "Carp Carp".

Interesting fact told to me by the owner of an Aquatics Centre!

• Like Like x 1
  12. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The SM-PSU in the sockets are running constanly (unless a manufacturer has made a design change that incorporates a switch into the USB socket) so there will always be some electric consumption...

Extra depth of back box is needed because of the space used for the SM-PSU.

13. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hager quote theres as 170mW I think. Hardly a deal breaker if I'm honest. As we've discussed before, probably much less than a shaver socket, and probably similar to some neons in switches

14. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That seems a bit fishy.

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shouldn't that be Max 5A at 20V?

It reads as if it's a constant-current supply, which will deliver 5A until it would have to put out >20V to keep that up.

16. DetlefSchmitz

DetlefSchmitz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You seem to be taking the rather garish slogan too literally. I guess you know that the source and sink negotiate a mutually possible voltage and current, up to 100W. Standard available fixed voltages are 5V, 9, 15V and 20V. A max current of 5A could be available at each of those voltages, subject to the cable also responding correctly.

17. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shaver sockets take no power until you put a plug in. They have a switch wired to the primary of the transformer operated by inserting the plug.
    Likewise neons in switches only take power when the switch is on.