how to test bathroom water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a new bathroom, and before I decide on the shower equipment, it would be good to know what pressure I have in the bathroom, so that I can choose the best shower set-up/whower-head, etc.

I have a combi boiler, so the water is mains pressure, but I know that this can vary from house-to-house and road-to-road, so how do I test the water pressure.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've got my eye on a big fancy shower heads, and it needs a min of 2 bar.

Sponsored Links
You might want to know the flow rate as well as the pressure, if its off a combi then a thermo mixer or pressure balancing mixer will be the best bet and if your combi works these will work.

an electric shower is a good idea though as this will give you a means to clean when the combi is 'out of service' ;)

A 24kW combi is pretty hopeless on a big antique style shower head.

Electric wouldn't provide more than drips through one of those!

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anyway of actually testing the flow / pressure of the water to help decide on the best shower fittings? Or is it just a matter of guesswork?

Sponsored Links
There are things like this around to test pressure, but you would probably only ever use the thing once.......
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=82412&ts=38033

To test the flow, just a bucket and a clock - time how long it takes to fill the bucket, then work out , from the capacity of the bucket, the flow in litres per minute.
Eg - If your bucket holds 10 Litres, and fills in 30 seconds, then the flow is 20 litres per minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back