How to Trim 20mm off the top off a brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I’m laying a laminate floor and where a brick wall has been opened into a doorway the floor hasn’t been levelled properly.

I’ve got floorboards which butt up to the bricks but they are 15-20mm higher. This seems too much for a laminate floor and it will be neater to be able to run the floor through the door frame to meet the vinyl the other side.

How can I take the top off the bricks while they are in the floor?

Thanks, Tom.

Sponsored Links
Do you know of a way to trim the top instead?

The bottom of the bricks are below floor level and not very accessible. I’d have to smash them from the top and it wouldn’t work very well tbh

How would the bricks react to being hit on the side with a chisel?

Sponsored Links
Cut 25mm deep grooves across the width of the brick 25mm apart, then thistle it out that way, it wont be a smooth finish but it might do your job.

Cut 25mm deep grooves across the width of the brick 25mm apart, then thistle it out that way, it wont be a smooth finish but it might do your job.
How do I cut the grooves?
What does thistle as a verb mean? I can imagine chiselling bit by bit..

You are right it doesn’t need to be smooth, I can put a bit of mortar or plywood on top of needed.

Cutting with an angle grinder as described above would be the way to reduce the height, but this will be very dusty. I would whack them with a bolster to loosen then and then fill with screed or something.

Drill loads of holes vertically, use a piece of wood as a depth stop. Make the holes 10mm deeper than what you want to remove. Bish, bash with a hammer.

Thank you for your ideas.
No angle grinder so that’s not an option. I think chipping away at it will be the only way.
You can see it’s probably 10mm looking at it this morning, might try laying on top to see how it feels.

Attachments

• 232052BE-9BED-4EFC-84F0-FCD23C3C0DB9.jpeg
    232052BE-9BED-4EFC-84F0-FCD23C3C0DB9.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 73
I'd be wary of banging away at that for fear of dislodging the bricks. Why didn't you attack it before you laid the floor?

I'd be wary of banging away at that for fear of dislodging the bricks. Why didn't you attack it before you laid the floor?
Chipping away (with a bit of drilling) has taken some off, enough to make the floor feel good.

This has been uncovered by removing the carpet, it’s not been an issue with access, there’s enough gap around it.

Should be all good now fingers crossed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back