What type of door trim or saddle / threshold for this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone advise on the best way to join two different floors where the flooring in one room hasn't been extended into the middle of the door threshold?
We have an ensuite that has been tiled but the tiles only reach up to the door frame, not halfway into the middle of the threshold. A bit like this:

upload_2018-1-14_10-59-11.png

I'm about to lay laminate in the joining bedroom but am wondering should i lay the laminate up to the tiles (with a small expansion gap of course) or just up to the other side of the door frame. I also don't know yet if the laminate flooring will be slightly lower or higher. What is the ideal thing to do here and what type of threshold/trim should i use to cover the join - especially if the two floors are not level or the join is not central? Would a large wide saddle be the way to go? By the way, there is no door yet either! Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips!

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-14_10-57-55.png
    upload_2018-1-14_10-57-55.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Right, did some more searching about. Just realised that when the door will be installed it will be opening into the en-suite so the join / transition from the laminate to the tiles will be just slightly off from the centre of the door. I could just make the gap a little wider and set in a wide threshold strip a bit further back from the tile line to bring it directly under the door.

Right, did some more searching about. Just realised that when the door will be installed it will be opening into the en-suite so the join / transition from the laminate to the tiles will be just slightly off from the centre of the door. I could just make the gap a little wider and set in a wide threshold strip a bit further back from the tile line to bring it directly under the door.

Wot he said :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back