How to unblock a gully without manhole access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gully inside my conservatory that collect water from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher; it has become blocked and tends to overflow

I tried unblocking it by first trying and breaking any solid waste by hand and then by using one of those pipe cleaning attachments for pressure washer; the problem is that there is a kind of p-trap so I cannot really feed the pipe through

I’ve called the water company which attempted to unblock it (but not too much as they only do public sewage) using a rod but with no success
They checked the manhole closest to it but is doesn’t go directly there, it joins the sewage in the patio and there is no inspection cover so it cannot be unblocked from downstream

What can we do?

Attachments

• B50C7167-C0EA-4340-92F4-516D6B576683.jpeg
    B50C7167-C0EA-4340-92F4-516D6B576683.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 387
Sponsored Links
ONE SHOT will shift it, if it’s a blockage. B and Q used to stock it. Watch out it’s lethal but quality.

Or if the above does not clear the blockage? Leave it to your household Insurer? Make a claim under your underground services section of the Policy?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'd lay money on the problem is up the other side of the 'U bend', on the outlet from the pot. First thing you need to do is bail out the water from the gulley, a wet vac is ideal if you can get hold of one. Then remove any detritus from the bottom of the pot, preferable using mechanical means, just in case there's anything sharp in there.

Once pot is empty you should be able to see the outlet where the water goes, up the other side of the diving wall of the pot. Find (or make yourself) a fairly rigid hook, or if the jetting attachment for a pressure washer is available, poke it up the outlet side of the gulley, and either wriggle it about or turn the water on. (If using pressure washer eye protection is a must.) Hopefully this will then dislodge any build up of fat/oil/grease or congealed soap that is causing the issue. Once you've broken through copious quantities of water and more agitation are advised to break up and wash through as much of this crud as possible.

If this fails to clear the issue, and the blockage appears to be downstream of the gulley, then a drainage pro with a 'Picote Miller' cutter may be able to get something round the bend of the gulley to demolish the blockage.

Failing that I dont think you'll have much option other than to excavate and break into the pipe to find the issue.

Are those things man enough? Never used one in anger, rods and plunger have always done the trick for me!

Even managed to get through one stubborn block in a 6" foul main that AW had given up on, (van pack wouldn't touch it they said), and had marked for excavation, (only 5.5m deep at that point IIRC....), with the trusty Steel Kane's.

The toilet auger is an awesome tool, I've unblocked toilet others couldn't, it is very good at removing the clip on toilet refresher that have been flushed down and got stuck. Only down side is you can't use it on a toilet with a flexible connector, it will rip it to shreds.

Andy

jacoscar, good evening again.

Short answer is Yes, Probably your Premium will increase, having said that?

With Insurance under most circumstances it is advisable to check with any of the comparison sites at each renewal, or if your premium takes a hike, conversely if you have been with an insurer for several years then Yes run a check on what else is out there.

As an aside, An Insurance premium that I had took a hike, I went on to a comparison site to find my original Insurer offered me on that site a premium lower than my original premium never mind the hike a different part of the Insurers system was telling me???

You can intimate a claim under the "Underground Services" clauses which include leaking drains and water mains Etc.

The advantage of using your Insurer is that they MUST !! effect a repair, not like the water company who do not have the same duty of care??

Ken.

It looks like my building insurance has an excess of 250£

That is getting on for the higher side of such Excesses. Is it the same excess for the Accidental Damage section of your policy? if indeed you have such cover in place.

By any chance, do you have a "secondary" insurance cover with firms such as "Homecare" who offer cover for all electrical goods, the Electrical system and drains in and around your home? No Excess there.

Ken.

If there is a manhole downstream a decent drain guy could use a rope to pull his jetter up the junction to the gully. I did one a couple of weeks ago and pulled out this lot:
B1540A2E-4F7A-4460-9EF0-E0CDB8B29DD4.jpeg

06FA1D94-D5BA-425B-8CFE-9586B18286D9.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back